The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NGK PFR7B

jza800

hi all

I have those spark plugs in my bpu supra, running 1 to 1.2 bar, i have notice on my last 3 rides, that the car stuttering under boost over 3800 rpm range, it is not much but you can just feel it..

What is the lifespan on ngk plugs, mine is 5 years old and about 14.000 km..  in my mind they need replacing, so i tried to search to see if there was a lifespan on them, but haven't been able to find some information on them, some say 8 to 10.000 miles, other 25.000 miles, or 3 years.

is there a better opportunity than ngk that have a longere lifespan, as i don't drive the car that much as you can see i have only droved 14.000 km in 5years.

Its easy enough to check the coil packs by measuring the resistance and you'll either have a stable reading in spec, a variable reading indicating a failing coil or no reading indicating a failed coil. Spark plugs, and NGK are a premium brand and should be good for at least 20k miles; lots more if you went platinum or iridium.

ok, but it is not every time it does it, only sometimes, so it is very hard to diagnose on..   i can do some pulls and i have no misfire or stuttering at all, i have an air/fuel gauge, and i can't see it on that either when i cut out, it feel like a smooth spark blow out, and i happen so fast, then i can do some more pulls with no problems..

i know all electronic are getting old on our cars, i have just fixed my trac control ecu because it was failing dur blown capacitors..  so maybe it can be electronic related..

but is there no outdate on sparks plugs, can just read some say 25.000 mils or 3 years, and mine is 5 years old.. it is something that have come one day to another ..   

• 2 weeks later...

I have now mountet some new spark plugs, i got a good deal on denso ik22 plugs, but still have a little ignition problem, not as much as before, it did it once today, as it is Iridium plugs, it is advise not to regap them, they come as .032" gap, is it really necessary to gap them down to .027"  when i drive 0.8 to 0.9 bar

Edited by jza800 (see edit history)