The mkiv Supra Owners Club

OEM Headlight Washers - Any help!?

redsupra94

Gentlemen,

The threads behind my OEM headlight washers have rusted out and I am looking to replace both of them. Does anyone have a pair or know where I can buy them? I know this is a very unpopular opinion but I actually like the look of the washers.

Thanks!

Joe

Edited by redsupra94 (see edit history)

I'm afraid you may struggle to get a replacement pair, very hard to come by used and not available new at all, plus if by chance someone does have a pair, be prepared to pay silly money for them!

I wonder how easy it is to disassemble the washers themselves and replace the thread that's rusted away with something fabricated?

3 minutes ago, jim_supra said:

I'm afraid you may struggle to get a replacement pair, very hard to come by used and not available new at all, plus if by chance someone does have a pair, be prepared to pay silly money for them!

I wonder how easy it is to disassemble the washers themselves and replace the thread that's rusted away with something fabricated?

Have you actually seen any for sale? Any idea of what value people are ascribing to them these days?

4 minutes ago, chaoticentity said:

Have you actually seen any for sale? Any idea of what value people are ascribing to them these days?

Not seen any for sale for a good few years, I personally sold a UK bumper with washers attached a couple years back for under £300 (bumper itself needed some work)

No idea what value would be for them these days, but the OP should at least be prepared for a high price tag if someone does have them sat around -happy to be proved wrong on that one though!

Best bet is to try and repair the ones currently on the car.

26 minutes ago, jim_supra said:

Not seen any for sale for a good few years, I personally sold a UK bumper with washers attached a couple years back for under £300 (bumper itself needed some work)

No idea what value would be for them these days, but the OP should at least be prepared for a high price tag if someone does have them sat around -happy to be proved wrong on that one though!

Best bet is to try and repair the ones currently on the car.

I have receipts for the full system when one of the previous owners had it replaced, it was something ridiculous like £1000 for all the various hoses and bits. You will either see some sell them for a few quid because they don't see any worth in them or they will be a few hundred from someone who is on a profiteering mission.

However I am almost certain that this part was shared with other Toyota models of the era.

Gents,

Thanks for the input. I guess I am going to have to try and repair the ones I have. I cleaned them up as best as I could and repainted the brackets that hold them in place. I will try and get some pics later today.

The main issue is that one of the two threaded 'legs' on one of the washers snapped when I was removing the bolt that held it to the bumper. I am usually really careful and use plenty of rust lube when dealing with rusty parts but this one got me. The other washer I was able to remove, clean up and apply rust deterrent. I guess I could try opening the washer to see what I can replace inside? Anybody have any experience in that area?

Thanks again.

Joe

Do you have a pillar drill.

Best to try and drill it, holding it in a vice gently with some clothes running it at a low speed.

Without seeing photos I'm just guessing. But drilling a new hole into the old material is another option. Ideally you'd over size the drill and bond in a new thread. Being its a thread its likely going to be a steel which may be a pain to drill. But I'm sure if you're gentle you can get some sort of replacement in there.

Another option is drill a new hole in a different location. But you'd have to make sure you didn't drill into the water pathway.

A final option. Would be to make a tiny base with a new thread on one side and a hole on the other (to allow the current thread to pass through). Then bond the washer jet onto the new base to give you a twin threaded option.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.