The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice - Manual Gearbox Conversion

Spike3.0

I'm looking for advice please.

I've done a fair bit of searching but can't seem to find a consistent answer, or at least the best route. 

I'm looking to complete a manual conversion on my Supra with the most promising route looking to be using the BMW M3 E46 6 Speed box.

My question is what else apart from the gearbox i need, as currently the car is bare of any transmission having bought it this way. 

So far from research and Mike who i purchased the car from i think its the below, unless anyone can tell me differently. 

Auto flex plate

Spacer

PMC adapter flywheel

Clutch

Pedal assembly 

Clutch hardpipe

Prop shaft

Thanks in advance, 

Andy

I found this from Izzy a while back while researching into it 

I solved it with master cylinder from Toyota Land Cruiser. Link:https://www.autodoc.co.uk/abs/7716685 and swapped the rod and reservoir from Supra master cylinder. But be carefull, the Land Cruiser cylinder has a plug on the bottom, you have to plug the hole. It looks like this: http://www.allfourx4.com.au/WebRoot/Store/Shops/allfourx4/54CF/8740/D0C2/463B/C691/C0A8/DA35/CB11/31410-60372A.jpg

After this modification, everything works as it should 

My car has engine out box and rear subframe as been rebuilding the whole car but when the engine and box goes in which hopefully should be pretty soon now the weather is picking up I will let you know mate good luck with your build 

• Like 1

Hey mate,

I've just got the e46 box mounted up in the car with the PMC kit. You will also need a custom gearbox mount making up, which im sure you're aware of!

There is a chasebays kit that uses a nice wilwood master but it is rather expensive, but its pretty. They also do braided clutch lines which SHOULD work with the 420g slave?

https://www.chasebays.com/collections/toyota-supra-sc300-sc400/products/chase-bays-clutch-master-cylinder-adapter-lexus-is300?variant=32572614475854

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dr_jekyll said:

you may find the gearing very short if you are the a01 diff , great for track use and sprinting but not ideal as a motorway car.

This.. when I had the M3 box fitted 70mph was like 3500rpm, felt quick for an n/a tho lol

Now I've had it boosted and mated with an A03B diff it's lovely! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T2 MSW said:

Yes for motorway use the M3 box needs a 3.2 final drive to make the gearing right IMO.

That diff in that car does not have a 3.2 final drive 

Hi Mike, do you remember what diff it has?

I can't see any thing to ID what it is from looking sorry. 

Thanks for all the advice folks, I never thought about the ratios so it's a huge help!

Update,

It's the A01A which I believe has a 3.77 Ratio.

Guessing I'll be better changing this if using the M3 Box?

But curve ball - has anyone got experience with the BMW GS6 transmission, and with it being off a diesel does this change things?

I only ask as this seems a popular and cheaper option too.

Sorry for the naïve questions, I'll get there eventually 😉

Friend uses the box for drifting. Not any help for ratios. He used it for to price and ease of replacing.

Had 600hp on it. 

But. I'd swap it with an M3 box. Ratio's should be better and resale value of the car would complement your investment better.

I'd prefer a cd009 box to a BMW diesel if you cant choose an M3 one.

Stay the M3 route and then get an 8.8 diff setup from Grannas racing. Not the cheapest route. But could sort your ratio issues as think you he supports witj different diff ratios.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Spike3.0 said:

Update,

It's the A01A which I believe has a 3.77 Ratio.

Guessing I'll be better changing this if using the M3 Box?

But curve ball - has anyone got experience with the BMW GS6 transmission, and with it being off a diesel does this change things?

I only ask as this seems a popular and cheaper option too.

Sorry for the naïve questions, I'll get there eventually 😉

A01 is 4.1 ratio

A02 is 3.76

A03 is 3.266