The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight upgrade help

nolizma

Merry Christmas to all.

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I tried the search function, I promise.

My fiancee has a mk6 fiesta (2013). It has the halogen lights (with projector), which are really bad. She primarily drives on a and b roads that are pitch black. I tried to upgrade them with extra bright bulbs but it seems like one of them gets burned out every six months or so.. I am tired of changing them out and they are not great anyway. 

What should I go for? HID? LED? are these any good? Any suggestions appreciated. 

Put a photo up.

LED may have the same frequency as HID but they don't have the lumens behind them therefore their depth of reach with the light is much less than HID.

If you have HID as standard LED will be likely be downgrade. Consider even older HID setups have a small amplifier which the LEDs don't have. They typically have a large heat sink on the back and some play and plug LED bulbs can actually be too large to fit a stock light.

As mentioned above by mc92, the condition of the lenses will play a part and a polishing kit could make a huge difference.

You can sometimes see cracks internal to the plastic with the light on when its dark. This is also a clue the lenses are well aged and light damaged by the sun.

Throw a photo up mate. Will help explain your issue. But my guess is a combination of old bulbs and a light lense refurb will change the game for you.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I decided to go with a set of LEDs that will definitely fit.

https://www.carenhancementsuk.co.uk/collections/ford-fiesta-mk7-5/products/enhanced-edition-led-h7

The lenses are not yellowed at all. Being used to HIDs the light output of the halogens seemed very low to me when driving the car. It was improved with the osrams which were the high output type. cant remember the specs. But the life span is very short. I could probably get a replacement if I could be bothered to find the receipt from when I bought them, but hoping that the LEDs will be brighter and also last longer.