The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hybrid Transmission P to D Bump ***

Q: :wave: What's it like to drive?

The higher line-pressure has a side-effect.

Shifting quickly from P to D makes it lurch, :slap: to tame this; pause in R for a 'moment', it then slips into D like stock. :friends:

Cold-start-cycle high-idle parallel-parking manoeuvres require a tad more pressure on the brake pedal, yet functions as stock when warm.

With stock ECU; gear-changes are faster and firmer.

With Suprastick ECU; Two switchable auto shift-tables and Manualised gear-changes are each programmable for shift-speed and torque-convertor lock-up.

A: :think: This transmission has a "character" that's keen to get going, with firmer, faster gear-changes and/or flappy-paddles and more fun. http://www.killbillet.com/images/smilies/drivingskid.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Now that I have the Toyota Repair Manual and Hydraulic Circuits Manual for A340E-GE & A340E-GTE transmissions; I have been studying these Box Bibles re. which thing does what and how and suspect that using the GE C-0 (1st & Reverse) accumulator in place of the GTE C-0 accumulator for Hybrid builds, may fix the P to D Bump? :think:

I will use this alternative configuration for the next Hybrid build and report back. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have built a new recipe A340E-GTE/GE Hybrid for Picoto, incorporating the alternative A340E-GE C-0 1st & Reverse brake-band accumulator.

Which should be the end of the P to D Bump? :)

This Lucky Number 13 Hybrid transmission will/should be fitted and running by mid July, :baby: Chris will then report back. :)

Hybrid Transmission Register. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?discussionid=91&do=discuss

A340E-GE and A340E-GTE C-0 accumulators, side by side in the Real World, GE version has erect nipple. :innocent:

GE version will have more spring-tension and less travel, as when in OE GE transmission. :think:

attachment.php?attachmentid=219662&d=1497718914

attachment.php?attachmentid=219660&d=1497718914

attachment.php?attachmentid=219661&d=1497718914

Getting ahead of the game. :)

If you still have the donor A340E-GE in your shed, you will find the C-0 accumulator where I left it.

(Stick finger in hole, bend finger and pull.) :slap:

attachment.php?attachmentid=219670&d=1497790971

(For ref: GTE springs top, GE springs below.)

If you :innocent: binned it, Mr. T. can :sex: sort you out.

A340E-GE

35426A PISTON, C-0 ACCUMULATOR

35426-40010

35426B RING, O (FOR C-0 ACCUMULATOR PISTON)

90301-24001

35426C SPRING, COMPRESSION (FOR C-0 ACCUMULATOR PISTON)

90501-22008

90501-23073

Amayama thinks the accumulator part no. is for a steel-bush and has no idea what the O-ring might be? :confused:

No I don't have any. :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...

The only new A340E-GE C-0 accumulator in Europe, there are more available, yet require order from Japan.

(Pics :hi: Delboy52 ) (Availabillity info :hi: Inchcape Toyota)

attachment.php?attachmentid=219772&d=1498558487

Mr T's prices are elastic, :think: or is that :sex: Latex?

attachment.php?attachmentid=219771&d=1498558487

We plan to fit this into Mike's transmission, 7th July.

Working :scared: underneath the Supra.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With helping hands from Delboy52 and Tsia, I have fitted a GE accumulator into Mike's Hybrid working from underneath his Supra on axle stands. :)

The job didn't go too well at first, until after Mike had learned the hard way how delicate paper gaskets are after 25 years in the bottom of a deep fat fryer.:D

attachment.php?attachmentid=221327&d=1501420343

Hey ho, it's amazing what you can get away with on the dining room table with a cup of tea when there are no women or kids about. :D

The diagrams in Mr T's transmission Bible are too poor to work from and I found it simpler to work on 2 valve-bodies at the same time, which made it easier to see where the 9 check-valves, 2 pistons, 1 micro filter, 1 line pressure rail limiter and the sliding locator pin are all located.

(pics :hi: Delboy52)

attachment.php?attachmentid=221319&d=1501418495

Sandwich plate left, top section middle, bottom section right

attachment.php?attachmentid=221323&d=1501418495

Just 2 pistons to locate on this side. Can you see them?

attachment.php?attachmentid=221321&d=1501418495

9 check valve rubber balls, 1 micro filter, 1 sliding locator pin and a line-feed piston limiter on this side. Can you see them?

attachment.php?attachmentid=221322&d=1501418495

A pair of gaskets and cup of tea later. :)

One dead N/A valve-body rebuilt ready to go into Delboy52 Mike's Hybrid T.T. box, fitted to a 1UZ-FE VVT-i, in a Supra with Suprastick standalone ECU and Flappy-Paddle gear changes. :thumbs:

attachment.php?attachmentid=221320&d=1501418495

A340E-GE GASKET, VALVE BODY, NO.1 (with the three big holes)

35433-30064

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3543330064-Genuine-Toyota-GASKET-VALVE-BODY-NO-1-35433-30064-/182382076296?epid=673647035&hash=item2a76d1a188:g:x7AAAOSw4GVYSWsQ

A340E-GE GASKET, VALVE BODY, NO.2

35434-30076

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3543430076-Genuine-Toyota-GASKET-VALVE-BODY-NO-2-35434-30076-/182382076903?hash=item2a76d1a3e7:g:YXYAAOSw5cNYSWsW

Can be sourced @ £11 for the pair in USA, or :sex: £15 each from Mr T.

With that curler dealt with, Mike's Hybrid transmission is now reassembled with a GE C-0 accumulator and the P to D transition is now the same as a stock GE box. :)

The P to D bump is history. :friday:

To ensure that gaskets don't get broken again, I have developed a set of anti-jiggle locator slide-pins as a SST to make this awkward job a lot easier.

Will%20take%20&%20post%20a%20pic%20after%20these%20have%20been%20prettified.

Bluesonic94 mysteriously somehow managed to blow one of the internal oil lines out of his Hybrid?

To ensure this can never happen again, I now additionally secure these with cable ties

(pics :hi: Tsia) of Delboy52's transmission.

attachment.php?attachmentid=221325&d=1501418939

Note: Cable ties go under the bracket and above the sliding shaft below it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=221324&d=1501418939

You're welcome. :hi:

Picoto's Hybrid 13 was built using this new improved recipe & Delboy52's Hybrid 7-2 has now been rebuilt to this new improved specification. :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?discussionid=91&do=discuss

For those who would like their transmission de-bumping without having to remove it from the car.

I have made a set of Special Service Tools, bought a huge drip tray and developed a system that allows a cripple aided by a spannerlexic to rebuild A340E hydraulics from underneath.

You need to; safely & in this order; on a level hard surface get the car up onto 4 axle stands, drain the sump and get me to it.

Note: I will require the use of your OE Supra jack and 2 house bricks. (Please have these required SST's to hand)

If this option is preferable to removing the transmission and bringing it to me, you get the added bonus of a review of the ATF coolant system.

Getting to you and de-bumping a Hybrid from underneath is a 10x+ larger job for me.

I do not charge for this, however, I don't have transport and you must get me to it.

I do not charge for this service, nor my inspection and review of the installation & fluid cooling system.

H8 Bluesonic, H9 J_Meiser and H12 Jagman are already on my list.

There are another 8 Hybrids out there working hard somewhere?

If anyone else wants their Hybrid transmission de-bumping, with new filter fitted, cable-tie upgrade and full flushed, simply :telephone: contact me to arrange the details.

• 2 weeks later...

You will require;

1 x A340E-GE C-0 accumulator, pre loved with good O-ring or new.

1 x A340E-GE strainer. (I have stock)

1 x small tube of Loctite Grey. (I have stock)

10 litres of Premium ATF.

1 bottle of Lucas SS.

Get the Supra up onto 4 axle stands and have the sump drained for at least 24 hours before it is worked on.

After first checking that the little sump bolts are not seized to the casting, I now have a 3/8" drive impact gun, this handy & lightweight lithium battery powered tool whizzes out the 19 sump, 3 strainer and/or 15 N/A - 18 T.T. valve-body bolts and has a transmission apart in less time than it takes for you to make me a cup of tea. :)

My favourite toy, loaded with a 12 point 10mm deep socket. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=221747&d=1502465461

Now that I have the ultimate undooer, I have searched around and found myself the ultimate dooerupper. :D

This thing armed with a shallow throat-ed 12 point 10mm 3/8" deep socket is the perfect tool to both locate the little bolts in their holes and to spin up the slack ready for the torque wrench.

attachment.php?attachmentid=221820&d=1502981141

I am moving home and now have a level 2 x car concrete drive. :)

Which means you can now bring your Supra to me to have this conversion done. :) :)

Edit: Have now moved in and found out that I have a neighbour from hell, there'll be no Supra games here just yet. :shrug:

• 1 month later...

Q.

What are the 2 house bricks and OE jack for?

attachment.php?attachmentid=222567&d=1506508828

(Note: Huge bendy (comfy) drip-tray, a clean tray for internal components, another clean tray for tools, magnetic dishes for internal or external bolts, a roll of mechanics wipe and someone to pass me the pieces.)

A.

Ahaaaaaah!

attachment.php?attachmentid=222568&d=1506508828

With 15 washers, 7 springs, 4 accumulators, a cap and a check valve all trying to fall out from behind the valve-body under the increased compression of shimmed springs.

Used with sliding pins to locate the valve body, this little trick makes the job a lot easier. :)

Sweat bands on the wrists worked a treat too and puts an end to ATF running up to my armpits. :thumbs:

Had a tinker with J's box, even though taking great care, the old gasket was broken in 3 places

These things are paper & have been in the bottom of a deep fat fryer for 20 years & are as crispy as a chip fried for the same time would be

Please note that I will not undertake this task without a pair of replacement gaskets to hand - just in case

attachment.php?attachmentid=222571&d=1506508828

Being careful that none of the umpteen little check-valve plastic-balls fall out, here a GE v/b is opened like a book on a nice clean tray

After 20+ years of rattling around in an aluminium casting, these plastic ball-valves are now egg shaped and not working as efficiently as they should, it's a good idea to replace these whilst the v/b is apart.

attachment.php?attachmentid=222572&d=1506509076

Replaced broken gasket with U.S. aftermarket gasket, (shown here) this was such a bad fit that I will replace it with an OE gasket & never use after-market version again[/b]

attachment.php?attachmentid=222573&d=1506509076

I used a different combination of C-0 accumulator components in Delboy52's box (GE accumulator with GE springs) that had resulted with less accumulator travel & greater spring pressure, which was an improvement, somewhat.

With J's box I fitted these same components plus a modified T.T. C-0 accumulator cap which increased spring pressure & restricted oil flow.

attachment.php?attachmentid=222570&d=1506508828

GE system does not have this cap & accumulator spills past v/b into sump, GTE system routes this fluid back into valve-body.

GE v/b has no oil-way for this, so have tried using Modified cap?

attachment.php?attachmentid=222574&d=1506509076

This resulted with less bump from P to D, but now has a bump from P to R. :shrug:

I will have another go and reassemble with the cap again, this time using the softer T.T. springs to see if that could be the Baby Bear's bed I am searching for?

These are the components I'm mixing & matching to find Baby Bears bed bump-less P to D springing for Hybrid transmission C-0 accumulator.

GTE C-0 accumulator, springs & modified GTE cap left - GE C-0 accumulator & springs right.

attachment.php?attachmentid=222673&d=1507046769

C-0 accumulator location - GTE springs top - GE springs bottom

attachment.php?attachmentid=219671&d=1497793427

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.