The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Feedback - Hybrid & Shimmed Transmissions *****

H1. The first Hybridised and shimmed transmission was and still is mine and I :love: love it

attachment.php?attachmentid=158242&d=1348591240

Cheap as chips, takes up to 600ftlb? faster-shifts and runs-cooler too

What's not to love? :shrug:

There's a growing number of;

Hybrid transmission users (Currently 14)

Shimmed GTE, Tiptronic & GE transmission users (Currently 14)

Big-Sump users (Currently 6)

Suprastick users (Currently 4)

All reliably trundling around, some since April 2011, please add driving & performance comments here

Thank you :hi:

If you want a box upgrade, drop me a pm :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be the first to comment then :) Seeing as im still NA I think I can really tell how the box handles without making the box 'work'. As David stated, one of the side effects of the higher line pressure is lurching when going into D. This is particularly bad when the car is cold even from P to R to D. You need to really hold down the brake pedal otherwise it will move and feel like you've been shunted! I actually got the back wheel to chirp from accidentally going from P to D the first day I got the box in :s

Usually around town the NA box holds the gear pretty high say to 3.5 to 4k revs with a steady foot which leaves you wondering when it will change. I've noticed the hybrid shifts so much quicker. I've managed to get it to shift around 2k revs from 2nd to 3rd to 4th driving steady. It almost sounds like a R35 GTR paddle shift change. Every gear change you can feel the punch. The front end feels like it jumps.

WOT there is no comparison between the 2. The NA felt sluggish getting the revs up and didn't react straight away. Gear changes felt slow with a little pause between gears. The hybrid drops a gear around 3/4 throttle without clicking the button under the throttle pedal. The box reacts instantly with a get up and go feel to it. Gear changes go right upto 6k revs and bang next gear with very little drop in revs. Before you know it you're in licence losing territory. I had a little play with my gf's supra (5MT) with me in O/D off (3 gears) side by side. Usually autos are slower but with no clutch I lost no momentum and leaded about 3 car lengths before I backed off. The box is simply amazing it just feeling like it can keep on going! I will be installing my Whifbitz NA-T kit shortly and cannot wait to see how the box handles the extra torque!

Watch this space :)

• 2 years later...

How to Prolong Life of A340E Transmission here. :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?discussionid=225&do=discuss

Feedback shimmed T.T. automatic transmission. :)

SA2. TT Paul ;

"Currently still in my car running 550fwhp.

Valves were shimmed by David P to change gear quicker. Keeps temps down also.

I did notice the Temps were a lot lower had several autos and the gear change is quick but does not snatch."

"you can feel the heat through the carpet from stock box after a good run but with David.p mechanical engineering it's a lot cooler and quicker gear change. done well on db16"

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?337417-Modified-tt-autobox-and-extras&p=4176640&viewfull=1#post4176640

• 6 months later...

Feedback Hybrid transmission. :)

H3 & H4. dr_jekyll ;

"ive used davids hybrid box with 500lbs of torque with no issue, this is the way forward for the na-t auto"

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?305549-Auto-box-or-torque-converter-knackered&p=3847904&viewfull=1#post3847904

"im amazed how smooth the changes are in auto compared to in manu. in auto you cant feel them , in manu it slams them in, feels great"

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?273232-the-black-dog-na-t-build-**-NEW-DYNO-VIDEO**&p=3471934&viewfull=1#post3471934

"Yea the box is great, not sure if id fancy another manual now for a road car."

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?273232-the-black-dog-na-t-build-**-NEW-DYNO-VIDEO**&p=3472504&viewfull=1#post3472504

"the excellent david p hybrid auto"

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?310962-dr-Jekylls-Lazarus-supra&p=3906024&viewfull=1#post3906024

Feedback shimmed T.T. automatic transmission. :)

SA4. ellis ;

"Hi David

Gearbox is silky smooth and a total delight - has made driving my car a far, far better experience - love it.

Cheers

Ellis"

Feedback shimmed T.T. transmission. :)

SA4. ellis ;

"Uprated DavidP auto gearbox fitted (May 2017) with faster, smoother gear changes - this box is a peach and makes the autobox even better."

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?342977-1996-Facelift-TT-BPU-Unique-TwinZ-Kit-Immaculate

SA1. lui ;

"After gearbox failure on dragonball last month just want to say big thanks to Keron at extreme performance for sorting me out excellent condition deal on auto box & David P for coming up with us to do a few internal tweaks on the box, now all been fitted running super smooth thanks guys"

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?308980-My-supra-back-on-the-road-again&p=3883620&viewfull=1#post3883620

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

SA5. Iky

"Hi David,

I hope you're well. Just want to let you know,

Over the last few days ive got round to giving the shimmed box a thorough good testing.

It feels much more punchy with a lot less revs lost between gear changes. Also feels a lot smoother too but that could be down to the fresh fluid and new strainer.

This is in my opinion how these cars should have been when they left the factory.

Well done on your research and thank you for sharing it with us.

Kind regards, Iky."

"Hi David,

Also think i should mention, i did purchase a 6speed conversion. But will be keeping the auto gearbox for another project in the meantime.

Kind regards, Iky."

• 2 months later...

SA3. Mellonman ;

"David

I would love to give you good news but I cant the times I put out where just great so I will have to give you great news,

Being a staight back to back time the difference was .3 of a second

13.5 vs 13.2

This was with a stupidly strong head wind which every car was struggling with only 2 supras broke into 12's I think.

My best was 13.02

Thanks for your help with the box modification you need to do a video when doing your next or even a dummy run with a broken one you have to pass on you leggacy and get a load of youtube hits in the making

Cheers dave

Garry"

Garry,

Just posted up your feedback, but I'm confusticated.

Was it 13.2 or 13.02?

You told me both, which was it?

Cheers

David

David

I said I would give you back to back time with no other changes then your shimmed box and the times was 13.5 vs 13.2 , I done 2 runs like this , then I removed weight IE spare wheel and tools I had in the boot , being a 22 year old car the tools I keep in the boot are vast lol

hope that clears it up

Garry"

It does.:)

Cheers :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

nowak

"Evening David.

Thank you for finding this box for me, and thank you for going the extra mile asking about the milage, i feel terrible but i am going to to have to hold of with the shimmed box for now.. as unfortunatly my supra went on fire at the weekend :'( ,

I am hoping i have managed to put the fire out in time before any major damage was done:( but i will not know untill i take it appart.

Oh and thank you for the tip to change the oil and add lucas ss into the box what a differance it made :ok:

I dont know how to send pictures through this or i would of sent you some of the fire damage.

Anyway i hope i get it back to its formal glory soon and maybe if the funds allow after xmas i could get the box finaly shimmed.

Thank again for all the help.

I will stay in touch

Irek. "

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I wonder who has said similar before? :think:

I'll tell you what the problem is. Expensive, yep, that's it, expensive ;) One day auto owners will be grinning ear to ear as Getrags pop out of gear and crunch and whine, and their owners take out second mortgages still spouting "I couldn't possible have an auto in a sports GT car". ;) Seriously though, doesn't sound good and pressing apart certain sections of the Getrag 6 speed are fraught with problems, even assuming that once it *IS* apart you can get all the bits needed to fix it up again.

• 3 weeks later...

Sir David. Is there no easy way for me to conduct this activity myself? I know a little bit about the conductor plate I think within the box and its solenoids and so forth. I do also have the manual for the box itself and another in dept journal on the different auto trans somewhere. I know on the MB boxes 722.6 in particular, people were changing the solenoids to blue top instead of the old brown or grey ones for more precise shifts then the delayed shift. Now this auto box of the toyota may or may not have different solenoids to use but how can I achieve that which you are on these hybrid boxes?

• 3 months later...

Supra TuRD, or whatever your name might actually be?

Excuse me, I missed your question that was posted in the wrong thread!

In a nutshell, if you can't work out how to do these modifications from the vast amount of information I have posted in this Group, you don't stand a chance.

For the benefit of those too lazy to read, about the only other thing I could do to make this attempt-able by the bemused, would be to make a How-To video, which with all of the boring old important things that can so easily go wrong being missed out to save further confustication of the already confusticated.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.