The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Converting Euro spec healights to UK - is it possible?

JRS

I've been looking for a set of new headlights for a while for my UK TT and can't find anything quality at an acceptable price. I've also been looking into the differences between UK and Euro spec to see if a conversion makes sense as the Euro spec lights still seem to be available at reasonable prices.

So far the only difference that I can find for certain is that the dispersal pattern shield in the main headlight projector kicks up to the left in UK lights and to the right in Euro lights.

Does anyone know for certain if there are any other differences - and if so what?

I have read that the pattern shield can be cut out for the headlight projector and turned round/replaced - has anyone done this?

Is anyone running EU spec headlights in the UK and what did you have to do to pas the MOT?

Cheers,

Jeremy

Here in the Netherlands we usually do it the other way, correcting the small plates in the reflector plates in the Jspec headlight housing. To pass APK (Dutch MOT) the light may be a US style light pattern i.e. completely flat so it's possible to just file down one of the plates and reassemble the light. The problem you now face is the EUspec lights being both glass (which makes it slightly harder to take apart) and electronically height adjustable (there may be extra MOT requirements for that function?). And another thing to keep in mind is that a headlight taken apart and reassembled is much more likely to have condensation issues. I would just bite the bullet and buy a set of either new UK spec or facelift RHD lights.

If you're willing to split the headlights, I'm sure I have some spare kit lying about I could send you which would make them RHD.

As mentioned, its basically the casting at the back of the reflector that defines the direction of the light.

I have sent you a pm??????

Hi Mark - looks like I can't reply to PMs at the moment. Thanks for your message. Really just looking to hear what can be done at the moment but will get back to you when I get PMs working.