The mkiv Supra Owners Club

P*ssed off ... AEM a "NO GO"

Dale B

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol - yeah more like 1550 at the crank for Woon - 8% loss through his brand new transmission. (Pinned a dyno at 1400RWHP)

Saad has less power....and ability ;)

And I am assuming that even those figures would never be achieved using a Brit type dyno? Well, maybe on Thor's.....just joking :D

And I am assuming that even those figures would never be achieved using a Brit type dyno? Well, maybe on Thor's.....just joking :D

Well the G-Force one can take 1600RWHP and the Dyno Dynamics one can take 1750BHP...so in the UK we could dyno that much...I have no need to doubt Woon's figures, when you look at the spec...he never tries to make out it's ideal for street use AFAIK ;)

Well the G-Force one can take 1600RWHP and the Dyno Dynamics one can take 1750BHP...so in the UK we could dyno that much...I have no need to doubt Woon's figures, when you look at the spec...he never tries to make out it's ideal for street use AFAIK ;)

What I meant was that the hp figure and calculation in the USA is different (higher) to the UK and would therefore be a lower figure should they dyno on a Brit machine.

Anyone who bothers to delve into the workings of the supra autobox, will soon realise that controlling it "like stock" is easier said than done.

There are lots of adjustments and settings that depend on revs/speed/load.

It's not unlike the stock sequential 'symphony', which is a far cry from adusting the actuator on a single turbo (or even setting up an EBC)

As for the low 8s on (otherwise) stock cars, I'll believe it when I see it.

When I had my last turbo bike it was making over 250bhp (the limit of the dyno at the time) and it wouldn't do 8s for love or money. Hell, even low nines were hard.

It weighed 230kgs too.

When I see the 'stock' part up close.

There is a 'calibra' doing silly times but when looking up close it is a big block, spaceframe etc and a fibreglass shell that is shaped and painted to look like a Calibra.

Extreme example, but you know what I mean...

Guest Blown Supra

how much did you pay for your custom harness?

i talked to motec australia a few years back when nobody except the pro teams used motec on Supras and they quoted me for like 7kEUR min. if everything worked out as they planed. the harness itself was almost 3kEUR.

compare that to a turn key ready AEM system which costs 3kEUR, with a tuner coming from the US included.

My Motec cost £3k to buy and have mapped.

how much did you pay for your custom harness?

i talked to motec australia a few years back when nobody except the pro teams used motec on Supras and they quoted me for like 7kEUR min. if everything worked out as they planed. the harness itself was almost 3kEUR.

compare that to a turn key ready AEM system which costs 3kEUR, with a tuner coming from the US included.

Like I say, I paid £3k all in for supply fitting and mapping. So you are saying you can buy a full AEM kit and fly somoeone over from the States to map the car for 3k euros?

Guest Blown Supra

Marko Djuric laid down 1550rwhp through a 3 speed TH400 (the same transmission i use), which has approx. 30% loss. this roughtly equals 2000hp at the crank. non stroked 3ltr block.

i don't think the factory Getrag V160 Ryan uses has just 8% loss. i guess its far more, rather like 15% at least.

Saad dynoed 1500rwhp in Texas 2K5.

Lol - yeah more like 1550 at the crank for Woon - 8% loss through his brand new transmission. (Pinned a dyno at 1400RWHP)

Saad has less power....and ability ;)

This highlights what I was saying earlier about misinformation. You spoke to someone a few years back and yet you are still quoting the same fiigures. Things move on my friend and it isnt just pro teams that use Motec now.

Guest Blown Supra

well i did. i paid like 1500EUR for my first AEM and had Sean McEldery from http://www.torquefreaks.com coming over for 3 days dyno tuning for another 1500EUR. he had some other guys on his tour schedule, that helped cutting costs for the transatlantic flight.

i have traction conrol working, boost controlled via the AEM, launch control working great with my TH400, and anti lag (not working at all with auto trannies), and data logging.

Like I say, I paid £3k all in for supply fitting and mapping. So you are saying you can buy a full AEM kit and fly somoeone over from the States to map the car for 3k euros?

..compare that to a turn key ready AEM system ....

there are degrees of 'turn key' readiness apparently...

If you think you just unplug the stock ECU, plug the AEM, load a 'startup' map, tweak a few bits and bobs and you're on stock driveability levels, well...maybe it won't be smooth sailing like that.

Maybe it will though, lets be positive, eh?:innocent:

Marko Djuric laid down 1550rwhp through a 3 speed TH400 (the same transmission i use), which has approx. 30% loss. this roughtly equals 2000hp at the crank. non stroked 3ltr block.

i don't think the factory Getrag V160 Ryan uses has just 8% loss. i guess its far more, rather like 15% at least.

Saad dynoed 1500rwhp in Texas 2K5.

Nah it's 8%-12% tops. It's a very tight transmission, hence the way it engages. 1550 crank HP is quite respectable you know....Is a GT47-88 capable of 2000hp...NO, so why claim it?