The mkiv Supra Owners Club

3rd times a charm? White NA5

L337

As the title suggests, managed to get a good deal on a white NA 5spd  so will looking forward to being an active member again for the 3rd time!

My other NAs from a few years ago if anyone is mildly interested:

A really badly modified NA Auto that I started to fix and return to a more standard look, although ultimately ended in finding hidden crash damage:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?331432-RICE-to-meet-you

It's much nicer replacement, which not long after was exported to Netherlands to fund a house deposit:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?337799-My-new-blue-Ridox-kitted-NA-Manual-D

On to the new one, not that there a much to say...

The whole car is almost completely standard bar a handful of modifications and OEM+ parts.

White exterior paint (from factory), looks presentable enough for now, but will need a respray in the not too distant future, likewise the grey cloth interior will do the job for now.

Modifications:

Apexi induction kit

Trial cat back exhaust

HSD Mono Pro coilovers

Unknown 18" alloys

Kenwood double din

Although the real perks of the car are the OEM additions!

Glass facelift headlights

Full UK turbo brakes 

All in all, it was a great car for the money in today's market (£9500) - just need to decide what I want to do with it first now!

(Pictures will follow soon!)

Edited by L337 (see edit history)

Welcome back and congratulations on the new purchase. I've just had a read through the thread you did on your first NA- very enjoyable but what a state! Fair play to you for doing as much as you did to sort it. Hope the new one is less hassle.

Love a loud exhaust on an NA!

Agreed! I had a Motoria I think on my last one, sounded awesome!

This one has a blow from the manifold to down pipe join(s) so doesn't sound so good at the moment though

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome back and congratulations on the new purchase. I've just had a read through the thread you did on your first NA- very enjoyable but what a state! Fair play to you for doing as much as you did to sort it. Hope the new one is less hassle.

I hope so too!! It was a nightmare, but really satisfying working on that car.

• 6 months later...

Been a while since I updated this, so thought I'll spread it over a few posts what I've been up to! 🙂

First up, digging around in the boot, I found a bundle of wires going between the rear lights

(cue nightmare flashbacks to my first Supra (see first post!))

Turns out removing these changed absolutely nothing, so no idea what they were supposed to do!

20200512_135241.jpg

20200512_141749.jpg

20200512_141706.jpg

Next up, rear speakers were 6x9s wood screwed into the plastic panels.

Cue even more flashbacks!

Bought some standard metal speaker mounts, and some relatively cheap speakers, and standard grilles, which all went in fine.

Note: I should really remember to take after pictures...

20200512_143422.jpg

20200512_143426.jpg

The boot floor was looking a bit worse for wear, so cleaned it up, and painted it by hand with some white hammerite for now.

The whole car will need a respray soon, so this will suffice for the short term.

Also to combat some pretty annoying motorway booming, lined the whole boot with sound deadening.

(Again, not after pictures) 🤦‍♂️

20200707_142853.jpg

20200707_142853.jpg

Roll on a month or so, and the 'Sunny' branded tyres were on their last legs, so took the plunge on a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s - what a difference!!

265/35/18 rear

235/40/18 front 

Although I wish I had gone up a width on the front as they have the mildest of stretches compared to the rear which is nice and square

20200713_205507_001.jpg

20200917_191853.jpg

Within the same week I think, driving briskly round a big Motorway roundabout, I was met with a lot of clunking, followed by watching my crank pulley exit under the front of the car at high speed, sparking across 3 lanes!

Being an non-interference NA, I took a risk with a £50 new eBay pulley - which is holding up well so far!

20200921_180708.jpg

After ordering new Bilsteins/Eibach in June, and being met with production delay after delay, and my HSDs getting almost undrivable - I cancelled my order and went with BCs.

It sits a little higher now which I prefer, and being a little softer, and not worn out - it drives a lot nicer now!

20201028_105940.jpg

And now we're up to this week!

So a bit of background with this one..

The car came with a Kenwood double DIN screen, that didn't fit in the hole, so someone had badly widened it to 'fit'.

It constantly annoyed me that the screen is behind the gearknob, yet the heater controls which are generally left on auto, with occasional temp changes are more accessible.

So I'm attempting to see how swapping the positions round would work!

Plan is not to use a normal stereo, but either mount a phone holder where the heater controls used to be, or potentially a Raspberry Pi / touch screen with Android Auto on.

So far has been lots of chopping, gluing bits of plastic back, and googling how to make a Raspberry Pi!

I'll get a picture of how it is today at some point, it is all patchworked as one thing again with plastic, next job will be to smooth out the minor imperfections with likely fibreglass/filler.

But back in the car, it feels more ergonomic, so happy so far!

20201119_170750.jpg

20201203_145739.jpg

I figured I would go and take a crap, dark, phone flash picture, as it is now.

I have no idea what the fascia panels have been painted with in the past, but it looks more like and old sheet of wet and dry sandpaper than an interior car panel!

20201203_191005.jpg

11 minutes ago, The Raven said:

Just caught up with this thread.

I had totally forgotten the "rice" car.

What is it with you and wood screws!

Haha! I wish I knew!

My dodgy wiring woes are not over either, I have spotted some suspicious looking things with dash panels out, most likely linked to the Toad alarm.

I don't know how someone becomes a Toad alarm installer, but EVERY car I've had with one, has looked like it was installed by a complete moron.

Edited by L337 (see edit history)

Oh one more thing!

When I bought the car, was told one of the ABS sensors had been unplugged.

Turns out it had been cut off!

Attempt 1: Order a replacement from Toyota 

Failed. No stock, and no plans for production.

Attempt 2: eBay OEM part from Japan.

Failed 24 hours later for same reason as above 

Attempt 3: Amayama parts from Japan 

Failed again, same reason 

Attempt 4, ordered facelift sensors from Toyota...

Success!

3 hours ago, L337 said:

Within the same week I think, driving briskly round a big Motorway roundabout, I was met with a lot of clunking, followed by watching my crank pulley exit under the front of the car at high speed, sparking across 3 lanes!

Being an non-interference NA, I took a risk with a £50 new eBay pulley - which is holding up well so far!

The crank pulley has nothing to do with the cam timing, but a new genuine Toyota pulley isn't exactly expensive and will last the life of the car

3 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

The crank pulley has nothing to do with the cam timing, but a new genuine Toyota pulley isn't exactly expensive and will last the life of the car

My point was more for the dampening purposes - if anything were to happen, I would only lose half an engine at least.

I would say £300+ for a pulley is pretty expensive; and the last Toyota pulley certainly didn't last the life of the car!