The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ksport 356mm with a space saver wheel?

Delboy52

• 1 month later...

It doesn't sit well with me that if I ever get a flat tyre I'd have to put my faith into the foam-in-a-can potions. The wheels I have use a valve that is not usual and I wouldn't want to mess it up with that stuff. I looked at having a spare wheel again, and found the OE spacer saver won't fit over a K-Sport 356mm caliper without a massive spacer in the region of 90mm :faint:

Supra Space Saver

attachment.php?attachmentid=234638&d=1581191386

So I looked around the internet to see if I could find a suitable space saver style wheel and found a RoadheroV2 model that might work. Some back and forth emails with the company selling it with caliper templates and Supra hub specs and they confirmed the RH198 model will fit over my caliper.

https://alloywheels.com/spacesavers/spacesaverForCar/2297

I bought the wheel and was waiting for a time to test fit to confirm fitments, and I'm pleased to say that it does!

RoadHeroV2 RH198

attachment.php?attachmentid=234637&d=1581191386

attachment.php?attachmentid=234632&d=1581191326

attachment.php?attachmentid=234631&d=1581191158

The next test was to see if it will fit into the boot. It does fit but not quite as well as the original. The offset is not allowing the inside edge of the wheel to rest on the boot floor with about a 40mm gap. I intend to add some extra filling blocks to support it, but also the retainer screw thread doesn't reach the mounting point. :think:

Supra Space Saver

attachment.php?attachmentid=234640&d=1581191386

RoadHeroV2

attachment.php?attachmentid=234639&d=1581191386

The retainer bracket will need a diameter reduction so when that is done and tested I'll update here again.

attachment.php?attachmentid=234634&d=1581191326

attachment.php?attachmentid=234635&d=1581191326

attachment.php?attachmentid=234627&d=1581191158

attachment.php?attachmentid=234630&d=1581191158

Car was filthy after just two drives in the winter weather! Clean again :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=234641&d=1581191944

Edited by Delboy52 (see edit history)

Great bit of info, cheers for sharing! How are those Ksport brakes out of interest? Are they the same ones that are on whifbitz

Quite a few places sell these calipers. Mine are the 356mm forged ones and I had them repainted in my body colour red and put black Supra decals on instead. They have been really good for me although my driving style doesn't really test them too hard ;)

Great post :thumbs:got same problem and this has been bugging me for ages!

I am in need of a new space saver as well because the Oem one won’t fit over my AP racing front calipers no more! Not even close!

Like you I have never fancied using that foam in a can stuff because my wheels have an unusual valve that I have not seen on many other wheels I’ve looked at, Wonder if this wheel you have found will be any good for me and my set up?

Great post :thumbs:got same problem and this has been bugging me for ages!

I am in need of a new space saver as well because the Oem one won’t fit over my AP racing front calipers no more! Not even close!

Like you I have never fancied using that foam in a can stuff because my wheels have an unusual valve that I have not seen on many other wheels I’ve looked at, Wonder if this wheel you have found will be any good for me and my set up?

If you can find the calliper template for your AP Racing model of calliper I can test it against my wheel or can compare to the Ksport one.

Wheel looks quite nice to be fair Mike. You must be glad how well that's come out.

Yeah I was glad it fitted. It comes with a load of stuff I couldn’t opt out of which is annoying. Like another scissor jack, wrench etc. Bumps the price up more than it needed to be.

Yeah I was glad it fitted. It comes with a load of stuff I couldn’t opt out of which is annoying. Like another scissor jack, wrench etc. Bumps the price up more than it needed to be.

Any pics? I dont have my scissor jack anymore

Bbq tokens? I'll bring sausages

I printed the template out and tested against the wheel. With a 10mm spacer the wheel will fit over your AP Racing calliper with about 2-3mm clearance.

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2020/02/56.jpg

Thank you for doing that and printing the template out and checking the clearance on the new spare wheel you brought.

Good to know it will fit with a 10mm spacer so will have to get one ordered :)

Do you also have to hand the Supra hub specs you sent to them?

No worries mate. I'm happy to test anyone's caliper against it for peace of mind. The alloy space saver doesn't quite sit in the boot space wheel well like the OE space saver does and will need some extra support to prevent the wheel rocking about. Also the metal clamp that screws down won't reach the mounting thread so it's not secured until an alternative is found. A 70mm washer should fit into the centre bore of the space saver alloy and allow a bolt to hold it in place (yet to test that). It does raise the carpeted area up a touch too, but not by much.

AP Racing say 4mm clearance minimum and this was pretty close with a 10mm spacer, but it will fit. :)

I have this data for the Supra wheels:

PCD: 5x114.3

Centre Bore: 60.1

• 4 weeks later...

After testing a couple of different wheel clamps, the one I found to be the best is from a 2007 onwards Kia Cee'd. The same part is used in the 2013 onwards Cee'd but I don't know beyond that if they stay with the same design. The early ones are black instead of grey, so better. :)

I also added 30mm of extra foam on top of the three OE boot base foam blocks to hold the weight of the wheel. The hub contact surface in the middle is now just above the normal resting point where the OE wheel would've gone.

This clamp worked better than from some other cars because it tapers under the contact surface which will help stop the wheel from sliding about.

attachment.php?attachmentid=235083&d=1583602619

attachment.php?attachmentid=235084&d=1583602619

They will need about 15mm of thread cut off so you aren't screwing it down into the top of your fuel hanger.. Leave about 27mm of thread which will be enough.

attachment.php?attachmentid=235082&d=1583602619