The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Zed V's Supra (The final say)

Guest Ken2

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest VG30DETT

Both these cars are the top RWD Jap Sports cars available. The Supra does have the edge, with the redevelopment program Toyota had to go through, but its so close that it really comes down to which car you prefer. (I wont go into reasons why I choose one over the other, as I have no interest in dropping insults like many of the above posts.)

I can't believe people think the Z is better looking than a Supra though!! It's like saying a Bugatti EB110 is better to look at than a DB9!!!

Its all down to personal opinion. Most Supra owners probably prefer the Supra's looks, and most 300zx owners prefer the Zed looks. I dont have a problem with the way the Supra looks, I just prefer the overall look of a tidy 300zx.

The Supra! Jim-supra's father has a 300ZX and we went out in it, dont get me wrong its fast, but by no means as much torque as the Soop - lets face it torque is where its at.

Although the Supra is more powerfull and quicker (well it does run a higher Boost setting out of the box ;)), everywhere I have read or spoken to says it does'nt feel as quick as the 300zx or as involving to drive. I guess again, its all down to personal opinion.

I used to like 300's until I compared them to the soop, next to a toyota, they are big fat bloat-wagons, with dials that would look more at home on a toaster.

UK MkIV Supra TT weight - 1566kg (according to a search on this forum)

300zx SWB TT weight - 1548kg

300zx 2+2 TT Weight - 1585kg

and if you park a Supra next to a 300zx, you'll find the Supra is the larger car. The Supra is higher and wider. (it looks longer too, but is strangely 9cm shorter than the 2+2 zed (but longer than the SWB Zed)

Royal - though most Supra's are modded...we don't have to rebuild the blocks unless they are deffo damaged, and you have to do something very very wrong to damage them.

I'd agree the Toyota block is bulletproof. Thats not to say the Zed is unreliably and fragile though. Both these cars put out standard power figures that everyday cars could never handle. There are abused/neglected examples out there that naturally give reliablity issues, but these are not the norm.

They are more susceptable to overheating from waterleaks, becuase of the un-needed overenginnering Nissan did with runing Water pipes all over the engine, but these are easily bypassed, but other than that they have no general reliablity issues.

980RWHP on a stock block has been managed in the States what's the best you guys have managed on a stock block? Not arguing just stating that the 300ZX is more fragile, period.

600+ is common in the states for a zed with stock internals. No idea on maximum bhp ever acheived with stock internals though.

600+ is common in the states for a zed with stock internals. No idea on maximum bhp ever acheived with stock internals though.
IMHO a V6 is a far more difficult engine configuration to tune. They are usually wide enough to make it hard to put stuff like a decent exhaust system on each side in the engine bay but unless it is a 90 degree V then there is usually not enough room to put a decent induction system inside the V, and precious little room on top for one either. The biggest potential problem with a V6 stock bottom end is the crankshaft design. A V6 crank can be very flimsy, especially if you go for even firing intervals and staggered crankpins. ON the flipside going for a 7 bearing design makes then engine bulky.

No idea about the 300Z's engine specifics, but there are far more compromises in the bottom end of a V6 than a straight 6.

The zed's V6 is not too bad, you see that joke of a twin-turbo attempt on the GTO, the V6 engine is transverse and one turbo is squeezed between the cyl head and the firewall.

Intake and exh temps on that bank go through the roof, assymetrical piece of crap --- no wonder they never run properly...

Didnt toyota help nissan with the 300zx coz toyota built the supra and nissan were like fcuk what we do now! so toyota helped develop some of it, im sure ive heard this somewhere i could be wrong i usually am!

Yes, you are very wrong. Toyota were due to launch the MKIV when Nissan launched the Zed. Mr. T said "Oh feck what do we do now" and went back to the drawing board and redesigned the MKIV.

And as for helping, can you really see a major manufacturer helping another to launch a rival product? Helloooo!!!! :rlol:

ive had both, and both have been uk manual turbos.

and IMO the supra is a far better car in pretty much every way, handling, acceleration, cornering, reliability, etc. :blahblah:

the z was more comfortable and thats it.

supra wins everytime in my eyes :thumbs:

not that the z wasnt a good car, it was,

the supra is just better thats all.

• 1 year later...