The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TT Auto not shifting in 4, no manu light

meister_raul

That's a "6 Million Dollar Question"!

Many before you have asked this same question, however, either many of these have learned to live with it, or have been waaay too ignorant to post up the fix? :shrug:

This link https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Toyota+Supra+fault+code+89&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB703GB703&oq=Toyota+Supra+fault+code+89&aqs=chrome..69i57.5026j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Will take you to links for several different possible error 89 fixes including;

Odo swap

Delimiter/speed-converter &/or it's wiring

Loom fault

TPS setting

Traction-Control stepper-motor operation

A speed-sensor

Auto to manual conversion result

Traction Control ECU

Engine or/& Transmission ECU.

Please post up which one worked for you?

:hi: Thank you.

Mine was the capacitor on the ecu board ,got it repaired been good since

Result :D

There should be a new sticky thread, 'Is your autobox misbehaving? overdrive issues? incorrect gear selection?' replace the ECU first!.

I recall getting to the bottom of mine was like a month long childbirth. Nearly went manual!

Any & all resolved "autobox" error-code threads are "stickied" in the Transmission Group here.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?discussionid=184&do=discuss :hi:

Edited by David P (see edit history)

I had the exact same problem spoke to Davidp who told me to swap the ecu ,couldn’t find a swap so took the ecu out and when I looked inside one of the capicitor had burst leaked on to the board ,got it repaired at my local tv repair guy and it’s been great ever since ,and it only cost me a tenner.

Was it obvious when you opened up the ECU ?

I am having a problem where my box wont change down to first in Manu mode ( all the lights work ) I have lived with it for nearly a year, but now I think second is starting to do it.

I am having a problem where my box wont change down to first in Manu mode ( all the lights work ) I have lived with it for nearly a year, but now I think second is starting to do it.

get the capacitors replaced. Driftmotion offer a service for this but its in the US. https://www.driftmotion.com/2JZ-ECU-Cap-Service-p/dm2861.htm

I am thinking of selling my car due to time constraints and not getting to drive it much at all but I am going to replace the caps on a spare ECU regardless and will post up a guide of what I used.

Yes saw it straight away

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?343555-ECU-capacitor-leaking-FIXED-UPDATE&highlight=Capacitor

Edited by Dave (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
ok made a couple of spectulative enquiries and am going to send the duff ecu to these guys who got back to me and seem helpful, will let you know how it goes cost and effectiveness wise!

http://www.asapelectronics.co.uk/services/pcb-repair

Ok well they couldn't find anything wrong on inspection, did offer a full board resolder for £70 or they would just send it back, so at present I just had them send it back.

So I could try another company or have a resolder done, I just wasn't sure if this was likely to be successful or more of a 'punt' and as the ecu works to a point (ie in an emergency) and my spare is working fine right now there is no urgency. Sort of in limbo, might try a very local guy that I can drop it off to for a second attempt.

• 3 months later...

I still haven't got around to doing mine or making a guide unfortunately. I do recall that the capacitors are a very specific model and type though, maybe the incorrect one was used, or there is a referred fault causing a repeated failure.

May not be related, but I had a similar issue it was the error code that points to the gearbox sensor, turned out that I had to do the odo-fix and then it started shifting as normal.

Does your cruise control and power steering function as expected once the warning light comes on?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi all.

I have had similar issues as described by OP. Caps in my Auto ECU and traction CONTROL ECU have both leaked.

I am re soldering high current capacitors and replacing them so will let you if this solved anything.

Cap ratings provided below for 7 caps in auto ecu for reference if anyone is interested or finds this useful in future.

100 mf 10v x2

220 mf 10v x1

47mf 63v x2

10mf 50v x2

Hi all.

I have had similar issues as described by OP. Caps in my Auto ECU and traction CONTROL ECU have both leaked.

I am re soldering high current capacitors and replacing them so will let you if this solved anything.

Cap ratings provided below for 7 caps in auto ecu for reference if anyone is interested or finds this useful in future.

100 mf 10v x2

220 mf 10v x1

47mf 63v x2

10mf 50v x2

Let us know how you get on

Hi all.

100 mf 10v x2

220 mf 10v x1

47mf 63v x2

10mf 50v x2

So the absolute correct cap requirements for an Auto TT Supra are as follows :

Auto ecu

All caps are Nichicon high current capacitors (can be found on Farnell or DIGI key)

100 mf 10v x2

220 mf 10v x1

47mf 63v x2

10mf 50v x2

15mf x 35v (this one is on the second board that folds outwards)

Traction ECU

47mf 63v

330mf 35v

100mf 10v

220mf 16v

820mf 35v

10mf 50v

Total for these came to around £7 but direct shipping was 15 lol. Will post pictures during the soldering as well as what I used to make it easy.

• 4 weeks later...
Will do mate

Update all. After extensive trouble shooting it turns out one cap leaked so badly it actually damaged through multiple layers of the Pcb. And despite replacing all caps and even attempting to repair the multi layer damage, i get an error code 31 when putting the ECU back in the car. So the car starts, and runs but runs really rough. I have tried to rebuild traces with copper and checked wiring at the ECU too but still get the error 31 ECU code. I successfully repaired the traction ECU, no problems with that as it tested OK in a friend's Auto TT, but sadly appears the ECU is a write off. FYI, removing the caps accelerated the damage to the eyelet hole but that was inevitable anyway as the components and PCB seemed to crumble away.