The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1/4 Mile in an Auto

ellis

The one thing that always bothered me was the slow pickup. Those little sunny gtir's used to whip you up to the 60 ft mark .

I used to place it in 2nd with the trac fuse out rather than drive through each gear. I found i'd nearly always hit the rev limiter in first. I also found that if you were power braking at the point where the rear wheels are just starting to rotate ( just above max stall) rather than the maximum stall it improved my start time. The down side was if you spun too much it would continue spinning down the strip.

I admit to not having tried powerbraking too much, just a couple of times and it was not encouraging.

I probably pressed the brake too hard, who knows, I've got too much mechanical sympathy to try this often enough. Perfection needs repetition, and I ain't doing this on my own car, despite the extra transmission cooler of the UKSpec.

(this from the man who was doing acceleration tests the other day with no wastegate and fuel trimmed down, ah the excuberance of youth.... :rlol: )

I would worry about power braking. I see what Mickey is saying, but Toyota overengineer most parts of the car for reliablity reasons, and as the drivetrain is pretty crucial part of the car I would expect no difference here... so I'd expect it to be able to handle loads of abuse :)

If you are on the drag strip, you're going to be putting your car under alot of stress anyway. Power braking will heat up the trans fluid, but so long as you let it cool off between runs, you shouldn't have any probs.

How long you been driving Supes for Mikey? Had many of them to see what they can take? All of mine have run just fine and I power brake every run on the strip. My 1st Supe ran a 12.87sec 1/4 @115mph with nothing but a full decat.

I reckon 2000rpm is about as far as the stock converter will go before the wheels start to spin though. None of the 4 autos I've had would let it go any further.

Power brake away. Just don't hold it on the line for too long and let it cool down afterwards. Yes it puts extra strain on the TC, but then dragging puts alot of strain on everything - you're running flat out from stationary to 115mph ish. At least the TC is likely to break before the box! The auto box is surprisingly strong.

If you are on the drag strip, you're going to be putting your car under alot of stress anyway. Power braking will heat up the trans fluid, but so long as you let it cool off between runs, you shouldn't have any probs.

How long you been driving Supes for Mikey? Had many of them to see what they can take?

Ive been driving one for the past year and a half, so prob not as experienced as Alex and other members on here, my veiws are just generally based on examples from other supras out there and other cars I have tinkered about with in the past.........

Definatly agree Bobbeh.....most parts are over engineered....except those shoddy j-spec brakes :giveup:

I guess it all depends on whether your willing to take the risk abusing them and putting excess strain on certain areas whilst doing this......I guess until its proved I should really keep my opinions to myself ;)