The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hybrid Jspec turbos and single options

Supra-love

Been there, done that, using UK turbos modified in Japan, most i could get was just over the 480bhp mark, there is no enough meat on the std turbos to open them out enough to get large enough turbines in there...its usually the US that claims more BHP from these;) small to mid single would be my choice.

Again without the larger "stock looking" manifold that's all you will get as the restriction is in the manifold these guys are on another level if you run a standalone ecu they then ditch the stock vsv's and replace with the mac boost solenoids so you can control the switch over point and fine tune everything via the ecu , the manifold looks really nice

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

Been there, done that, using UK turbos modified in Japan, most i could get was just over the 480bhp mark, there is no enough meat on the std turbos to open them out enough to get large enough turbines in there...its usually the US that claims more BHP from these;) small to mid single would be my choice.

Was that power at the wheels? Did you only do the turbos or did you do the manifold, Y pipe, cams, injectors and ECU?

Garrett GTX3582R Gen2 .82 or maybe a 1.0. Have you decided on a manifold?

Going to buy the turbo first and work from there.

Currently got the Syvecs s6 and toucan, Nitron suspension, Uk brakes, decats and cat back - (but changing those for bigger)

So it leaves the fuelling and the turbo kit itself, probably upgrade the intake plenum too

FSR Kit is a really nice setup, quick spool with the ported Cast manifold

Sequential OE setup to Parallel, I noticed more of a linear power delivery with Parallel as opposed a more aggressive thump on the transition to the 2nd turbo in Sequential

What discourages me from developing the Sequential setup,

• Available Mappers with the knowledge to implement the Sequential OE setup on an aftermarket ECU (Majority will try to convince you to go parallel or tell porkies)
  • Crib sheet of why your hybrid tubbies are not covered by warranty
  • Majority of OE tubbies have cracked housings -- the newest housing out there is 16 years old

To get the right people together to setup your car will take alot of $$$, it will take a lot of fettling to get the Sequential setup perfected ; it is hard enough to get mappers to spend the time configuring a single to the point it is OE refinement

Before going this route I would try and get BPU setup to run Sequential on an after market ECU , if you can achieve this I would then look into hybrid turbo's but as a means for refreshing current turbines not as a means to chase HP figures,

Fraiser McKeller setup his personal Supra to run Sequential on a Motec M800 (he has spent the time perfecting it) ; I contacted him numerous times without a response , last time I checked he spends alot of time in China setting up newly found millionaires toys

My advise , if you could get it setup sequential and with a limitation of 450 hp , if you want more go single

BPU OE cams 1.4 bar; after market cams up you want to move the powerband ,

E85 with a flexifuel sensor or water methanol

OE intake

Would be a very nice street setup

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Was that power at the wheels? Did you only do the turbos or did you do the manifold, Y pipe, cams, injectors and ECU?

Larger injectors, exhaust obviously, and piggyback ECU, no sequential system everything removed, and i think the manifold was mildly modified, i would be surprised if you could get much more than 500bhp (flywheel) even with a stand alone ECU...but that just my opinion.

FSR Kit is a really nice setup, quick spool with the ported Cast manifold

Sequential OE setup to Parallel, I noticed more of a linear power delivery with Parallel as opposed a more aggressive thump on the transition to the 2nd turbo in Sequential

What discourages me from developing the Sequential setup,

• Available Mappers with the knowledge to implement the Sequential OE setup on an aftermarket ECU (Majority will try to convince you to go parallel or tell porkies)
  • Crib sheet of why your hybrid tubbies are not covered by warranty
  • Majority of OE tubbies have cracked housings -- the newest housing out there is 16 years old

To get the right people together to setup your car will take alot of $$$, it will take a lot of fettling to get the Sequential setup perfected ; it is hard enough to get mappers to spend the time configuring a single to the point it is OE refinement

Before going this route I would try and get BPU setup to run Sequential on an after market ECU , if you can achieve this I would then look into hybrid turbo's but as a means for refreshing current turbines not as a means to chase HP figures,

Fraiser McKeller setup his personal Supra to run Sequential on a Motec M800 (he has spent the time perfecting it) ; I contacted him numerous times without a response , last time I checked he spends alot of time in China setting up newly found millionaires toys

My advise , if you could get it setup sequential and with a limitation of 450 hp , if you want more go single

BPU OE cams 1.4 bar; after market cams up you want to move the powerband ,

E85 with a flexifuel sensor or water methanol

OE intake

Would be a very nice street setup

That’s street fighter kit looks great, very good price too for a full turbo kit.

I think my best option is a single route now, very interesting looking knot the hybrid options, but after everyone’s response and the links I’ve seen single seems to be my best option.

Selected these options.

Precision Ball Bearing CEA 6466 Turbo

Wastegate: TurboSmart HyperGate 45 External Dump

Downpipe: 4 Inch Stainless Steel TIG Welded

Mid-Pipe: 4 Inch Stainless Steel TIG Welded

Intake: 6061 Mandrel bent intake tube with AEM Filter and MAF adapter

Hot Side Intercooler Piping: 6061 Mandrel bent Aluminum (Greddy 4 Row Style)

OEM Toyota Exhaust Manifold Gaskets: OEM Toyota MLS Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Additional O2 Sensor Bung: OEM Toyota Bung

Thermal Coating: Thermal Coat Manifold and Turbo Exhaust Housing

Thermostat Housing Rotator: Add Thermostat Housing Rotator

Stealth Wastegate Mount: Add Stealth Wastegate Mount

Any advice?

Selected these options.

Precision Ball Bearing CEA 6466 Turbo

Wastegate: TurboSmart HyperGate 45 External Dump

Downpipe: 4 Inch Stainless Steel TIG Welded

Mid-Pipe: 4 Inch Stainless Steel TIG Welded

Intake: 6061 Mandrel bent intake tube with AEM Filter and MAF adapter

Hot Side Intercooler Piping: 6061 Mandrel bent Aluminum (Greddy 4 Row Style)

OEM Toyota Exhaust Manifold Gaskets: OEM Toyota MLS Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Additional O2 Sensor Bung: OEM Toyota Bung

Thermal Coating: Thermal Coat Manifold and Turbo Exhaust Housing

Thermostat Housing Rotator: Add Thermostat Housing Rotator

Stealth Wastegate Mount: Add Stealth Wastegate Mount

Any advice?

You will have no issues with a Precision gate , you will need an aftermarket ECU to run this setup so get rid of the MAF and go MAP sensor only; otherwise looks good!

You will not need the Additional O2 Sensor Bung if you are running a wideband sensor

You will have no issues with a Precision gate , you will need an aftermarket ECU to run this setup so get rid of the MAF and go MAP sensor only; otherwise looks good!

You will not need the Additional O2 Sensor Bung if you are running a wideband sensor

Currently running the bpu on Syvecs s6 mate.

So I can delete the O2 sensor bung and maf sensor?

So I’ve edited the option and,

Turbo Type:Precision Ball Bearing CEA 6466

Wastegate Type:Precision 46mm External Dump

Downpipe Type:4" Stainless TIG Welded

Intake Type:6061 Mandrel Bent with AEM Filter

Ceramic Coating:With Ceramic Coated Turbo AND Manifold

Hot Side IC Piping:ADD Pipe For MK4 Supra Greddy 4 Row Intercooler (Straight Inlet)

Edited by Supra-love (see edit history)