The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lexus IS250

nolizma

Parents have one with all the toys (radar cruise, reverse camera etc). Drives nice enough (drove it for a airport pickup and nothing bad to say about it really) and are paddles ok, no issues likes a bit of oil compared to Supra's but nothing too drastic, slight rattle on startup from the vvti valve gear I think but theirs is a little leggy and an early one.

PS massively annoying satnav!

My dad had one for a few years back in 2009.

His was a 2005 (55) SE-L in Windsor blue with Grey leather. It had the active cruise control, pre-crash system, auto rear blind, heated and air conditioned seats, reversing camera, sat nav + more.

It was a fantastic car and he had zero issues with it in the three years of ownership. Lexus were fantastic to deal with too.

In contrary to the above, I always found the sat nav to be excellent. It was actively looking for traffic at all times and gave clear instructions.

He now has a 2010 GS450H, which he has had for 4 years. He's looking at an RCF now as he's very happy with the Lexus brand.

imageimageimage

I've got one and I love it. Not the fastest thing in the world, but it isn't slow either. Paddles are okay and it's bomb proof.

Only recurring fault I've had with mine is the rear calipers ceasing up. I've got to go and replace another one now and this will be the 4th I've had over 65,000 miles. I'm planning on replacing my brakes with ones from the v6 GS300 (which will require 18" F-sport wheels if you swap the fronts).

Uses quite a bit of oil, but I put in a litre every 6000 miles and that just about keeps it okay. Handling is alright, could do with stiffer roll bars. If you feel like modifying it, you can swap in the GS300 3GR-FSE head and block to go up to 3 litre without needing any new management or bits.

Thanks for all the info guys! much appreciated!

Any tips on how to look for seized calipers? Will it be too obvious on a test drive?

I found one I like but it has 100K miles on it. Should I avoid high mileage cars? Any expensive service items to look for in the service history? Whats the fuel consumption like?

It will be incredibly obvious on a test drive. If it's knackered you will hear it dragging against the disc. If it's on the way out, you'll have a pretty nasty judder under hard brake pedal after they have warmed up. Mines got 152k on it and it's pretty much good as new, aside from the brakes.

Fuel:

Long journey: Stick to the actual speed limit on a run and the best I've ever done is 43mpg. Drive at 80 on the same journey and that will drop down to about 32-35mpg. Drive at 90 and you'll see about 30mpg.

Round town: Very much depends, when I'm just doing town driving or country lanes, I hoon it everywhere on the paddles and get about 22mpg.

The auto is better on fuel than the manual. My lifetime average is 27.6mpg according to the dial, but from doing previous fuel tank calcs, a more realistic number is about 26mpg.

I found one I like but it has 100K miles on it. Should I avoid high mileage cars?

100k miles is barely run in!

The stigma of high mileage cars is a thing of the past. Modern technology means most cars will run forever, if well maintained

I've said it many times before -

I'd rather have a high mileage motorway used car, than a low mileage town used car, any day of the week

Hey guys thanks for all the info! I think you sold it to me already. lol

I will go to the lexus club and ask around there too. Went and saw one the other day close to mine but this one looked to have a rough life. Anyway i'm not in a rush as I need to sell my mini first.

The only downside im finding so far (on paper) is the high road tax compared to other cars of this category but Im ok with that since it ticks all the other boxes. They are pretty cheap too for what they are imo.