The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Train tickets & fines - Whut

cered

So on Saturday I travelled from Bridgend to Cardiff Central via train at around 5:30am, and naturally the stations were deserted and no one was around collecting tickets. I know you get fined for avoiding fares so thought I'd just call them on Monday and pay up over the phone.

so I called them up and said what happened and if I could pay retrospectively - Lady on the GWR helpline said I couldn't pay for the ticket in the past, she asked if I had been fined so I said no but wanted to avoid that just in case. No can do.

Just sent them an email too with the same question. But just saw on my facebook feed that a lady was fined £600 for travelling between a substation in Cardiff without a ticket.

Chances of me being fined? It seems pretty extortionate to fine people £600 for being unable to pay their ticket, particularly when you try to pay for the ticket after and they don't want your money

Up in Yorkshire they do seriously get the hump on if you do not pay, unless you travel from a station that does not have a pre pay machine on the platform.

I think in your case, don't know about Bridgend, but Cardiff should have had ticket machines for you to pay once you got to that station? If you did not take advantage of that service I would assume, yes they can fine you.

So assuming you got off the train without being asked for a ticket and then got through whatever barrier was in place at Cardiff without being stopped and your details taken, how will they know you didn't have a ticket and who to send the fine to? Not questioning the fact you are trying to do the right thing as you clearly are, but just curious.

This^^

I travel into Norwich from a station without a machine. If the conductor doesn't get round before I'm in Norwich I have no ticket and am stuck behind the barrier. Norwich station is such that they have to let you through the barrier to get to the ticket office/machines..... that are next to the exit...