The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Titanium Logo Keys

Noz

No problem :)

I thought the OE keys are made from brass... Obviously Brass is a "soft" metal and self lubricating in it's nature they won't damage the steel tumblers in the ignition barrel or door/boot locks. The OE key will wear down over time but that is the point, rather the key wear down rather than the tumblers.

Knowing Ti is an extremely strong metal, stronger if it is aero grade and stronger than steel. I wondered if these were sold more along the lines of a souvenir with the caveat?

You are correct, the keys are usually made from a brass aluminium alloy, so the key wears and not the barrel.

I'm not so sure the key is designed to wear down. I'm pretty sure it's not brass. More a low carbon steel. Like a 304L. Brass in its nature is definitely not key worthy. There must be a difference in material though so the materials don't bind

Not wanting to sh1t on your for sale thread but as you are only doing a favour for someone I wouldn't want you to become liable for replacing ignition barrels or locks et.cetera *should* issues arise from people using the Ti key.

If you could get them made out of the same material as the OE key (see Burna's post) I couldn't foresee any issues. I personally think using a Ti for a key in our locks which are now 15-24 years old is asking for trouble.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.