The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bike Project.

Tricky-Ricky

For those that are into bikes, i now have a new project that i really didn't expect, with a heavy heart i have taken on this bike T160 Triumph trident chop, due to recently loosing a very good friend, and his family has asked me to take it on and rebuild it/get it running, as there is nobody else that could, or ride it for that matter.

So its been passed to me with the proviso that i build it and ride it for as long as i am able and then pass it back, however in the future i may well buy it, but just don't have the resources right now.

Long story short he was involved in an accident 25-30 years ago and lost his nerve with bikes, but couldn't get rid of it, and always said he would ride again, but due to suffering servers depression in recent years, he has never got any further with it.

Years ago i re spayed it and despite me trying to persuade him that the colour was just wrong, he went ahead and put it together as you see it here, and then it sat in his flat until this sad time.

So to me it only fitting that i build it again and ride it as he always intended, as a kind of rolling tribute, i will be changing quite a lot of things, as there is now way i would ride that colour, and some of the styling is a little questionable, plus there are some safety aspects that need addressing.

Anyway i,ll keep this updated, but don't know just how long it will take me depending on the amount of new parts needed, but its already in my breakfast room sharing with the cat, as there is no way it will fit in either of my sheds, and still have room to work.

I have already decided that as a light hearted tribute the new tank with have BFG on the sides as to my wife he was always known as The Big Friendly Giant, as he was 6.7 ft and weighed 300lbs, and the wife is 5ft LOL!

Anyway here is a pic before it has a quick wash.

I am glad to say my wife really doesn't mind me having bikes in the house, i have built quite a few over the years, and she never complains...not sure that the cat feels the same as it doubles as his room too.

No, cats don't like change, ours aren't happy having lots of house renovation at the moment! Plasterers just finished! Just painting a loft room and carpeting to do next week now, and some tiling in the bathroom. maybe finished after 6 weeks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, got a few bits through, so far have cut down the old fat back mudguard, and fitted one of the Harley bobber type LED under the fender rear lights, also got a new brake master cylinder to fit under the gearbox, also have one of those cheap Chines chain tensioners to make up and weld a bracket for, and see how long it lasts...not convinced so far.

Also bought a little plastic front mudguard, which should just fit with a little cutting down, so in all i recon i have shead around 30lbs off the weight in all.

Just got to cut a piece of stainless pipe for the turn outs, and then the motor can come out and i can give it a good clean and then get on with some bracket welding on the frame, and then hope for slightly warmer weather so i can get on with some spraying.

Engine and frame have now parted company, the engine has had a wash and the frame is now getting some brackets removed and others re positioned ready for paint,

I have been pondering on what to do about the pipes,, i like the three into two high level look but since i will be moving the passenger foot pegs, the design has to be wife friendly, i was going to make them really short, as i am also fitting a hydraulic clutch conversion, which make the slave run right next to the pipes, but i think i will just shield the cylinder instead, and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't over heat it.

Nifty little thing though, fits just right in place of the cable and retains the original adjustment.

Last pic is me trying out an idea with some old fork stanchions, and i have managed to find some slightly shorter turn out extensions on the net complete with baffles for £50, which should with the heat shield i made work OK for the pillion...i hope!

• 4 weeks later...

Well as you can see i have finally managed to get some paint on the frame, and now the engine is back in, and other bits will soon follow, just a case of waiting for some parts to arrive, and some haven't even been ordered yet, and i still have to re make the seats, but it wont be long now, just got to try and string it out until the warmer weather gets here, more progress pics to follow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It lives!!!! was expecting the Amals to leak all over the place, and flood it but no it started almost first kick, and does so pretty much every time, still smokes a bit too much , but i am hoping it will clear itself once it gets a chance thoroughly warm up, was a little worried when the oil pressure took a while to come up, still a little low for my taste but that could be the gauge, so will run it up a few more times and then take it for a quick spin in the next few days.:grinno:

• 3 months later...

Quick update and some pics that will actually show (THANKS PHOTOBUCKET!:apoke:)!Did a quick tank repaint, just a rattle can job so not perfect but will do for now, also just took the misses out for the first time...loved it...apart from the large bumps, doing well, hard tails at our age.:D