The mkiv Supra Owners Club

heater matrix flushing feedback

Scooter

Great write up 👍

I flushed my heater matrix core through with Holts Speedflush.  The matrix was out of the HVAC unit which made it much easier.

I got a fair bit of crud out of it too and could see how some of the debris could block the very fine channels in the core.

I used a drill pump vs an electric pump, but I suspect to similar effect.

The advantage of doing this out of the car was that I could reverse the flow and turn the matrix upside down to help with dislodging the debris.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mwilkinson said:

Great write up 👍

I flushed my heater matrix core through with Holts Speedflush.  The matrix was out of the HVAC unit which made it much easier.

I got a fair bit of crud out of it too and could see how some of the debris could block the very fine channels in the core.

I used a drill pump vs an electric pump, but I suspect to similar effect.

The advantage of doing this out of the car was that I could reverse the flow and turn the matrix upside down to help with dislodging the debris.

Thanks, I can imagine yours must be nigh on spotless now, that's definitely the definitive method to clean it.

I managed to buy a full (used) HVAC system with a used matrix still in it, so I plan to do what you've done (thanks in advance for documenting the process in your build thread!), by dismantling and cleaning it all, replacing the foam and swapping it for the one in the car... rinse and repeat until both are as good and new as they can be.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mwilkinson said:

Sounds like a great idea.  I think I still have most of the templates I used to cut out the foam.  I'll see if I can find them and scan them and send them to you.

That would be amazing if you could, thanks! No worries at all if you can't find them though 😀