The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2.5 amp Battery drain

Scooter

I'm chasing a battery drain on a friends car that I found out this morning was 2.5 amps! which I think is a massive drain.

I'm researching now, I'm thinking an alternator fault (even though it chargers properly), but could it be anything else?

It's a disabled adapted VW Sharan so has an internal winch/type motor, another possible suspect?

Current plan tonight it check a few things and if inconclusive fully detach the alternator and check the voltage drop overnight is nil (currently it drops a volt or more)

Disconnect the battery, and connect your multimeter between the battery and main harness (Google parasitic drain test), if you're not sure.

Once you've done this, and can see the drain, pull fuses one at a time and note when the drain stops.

At least then you'll know what circuit it's on, then it's just a case of eliminating everything on that circuit

cheers guys that's the plan tonight re the fuses, I've done the basic test as above to get the 2.5 amp reading, just no time to carry on......hoping it's a part they can do without or I can sort it as they are flying from Gatwick Sunday and in it's current state it definitely won't then start when they return Friday! Last chance is the Valet parking people disconnecting it as part of the service.