The mkiv Supra Owners Club

3D Printer + Elbow grease + Supra

.killsec

I've had a 3D printer for a little over 6 months now, and I love it more and more every day. I'd like to share some of the recent designs I've completed and applied. Quick backstory: I bought my 93' supra off a friend and auctioneer, it was in great condition, just needed some love. There was some grime on the headliner, and the headliner was sagging. Luckily the sag was not the fabric, but rather the panel itself due to all but one headliner brackets being lost. I got my headliner all cleaned up (for the most part, still needs some work), but to fix the sag I had to get creative. Like I said, I only had one of the four brackets left. I removed the bracket, got out the digital caliper, got precise measurements, made a quick 5 minute model, and sent it to the printer. After adhering some industrial velcro fasteners to the flat end of the brackets I installed them and my headliner was returned to it's former glory. Ecstatic with the results, I decided to keep the ball rolling. I then measured 2 mount points available on my stock front bumper for a bracket for my GoPro, designed it and then printed it out. It holds solid! 3D printers have opened up a world of possibility, it has made me start thinking about what I would like and how I can use it to achieve the results. I'm actually starting to build my second 3D printer using parts that are mostly 3D printed. The total cost for making a 3D printer using the method I am will cost me about 250$ USD for any size build volume. I could theoretically build a 3D printer 8ft x 8 ft x 8ft if I wanted to. Just wanted to post this as I was inspired by possibilities. I'll be posting links to my designs as soon as I get them uploaded. Here's some pics! Disregard the stupid headunit, I'm replacing it soon.

Headliner before

Headliner after (still a WIP)

Very good

I've been toying with the idea of playing with a 3D printer for a while

Not that I have any idea what to do lol

I'll be honest, I had no idea what I'd ever use it for, just knew that I had to have one, funny thing is now that I've got one I'm finding I can make all kinds of things, and the community is amazing. You have a bunch of people spending countless hours fine tuning models for print and then just put them up on thingiverse for free. It's inspiring. I've only recently started actually designing my own models but I've had years of working with 3D software so it was an easy transition. If you want reasons to get a 3D printer check out http://www.thingiverse.com and search through some categories. I know we have some drone hobbyists on here, there is a bountiful selection of drone parts.

Like I said, I'm about to start building my own printer for a low cost, if that goes well perhaps I can help you take the leap :)

Can you tell what was 3d printed in this photo?

Looks nice, whats it printed from to withstand the heat? Nylon?

We sometime get contracts in to create models for 3D printing and I recent got myself one. Been printing all sorts of bits and bobs for the car.

Also, .... can you tell whats 3D printed in this photo :p

Looks nice, whats it printed from to withstand the heat? Nylon?

We sometime get contracts in to create models for 3D printing and I recent got me one hosue. been printing all sorts of bits and bobs for the car.

Also, .... can you tell whats 3D printed in this photo :p

http://davidconnely.co.uk/Image_Host/DSC_0395_low.jpg

Pfft... everyone knows 3D printers have become self-aware and evolved to be able to print TVs capable of easing their boredom like some kind of lazy shit-heap of a Skynet cyborg.

I'll be honest, I had no idea what I'd ever use it for, just knew that I had to have one, funny thing is now that I've got one I'm finding I can make all kinds of things, and the community is amazing. You have a bunch of people spending countless hours fine tuning models for print and then just put them up on thingiverse for free. It's inspiring. I've only recently started actually designing my own models but I've had years of working with 3D software so it was an easy transition. If you want reasons to get a 3D printer check out http://www.thingiverse.com and search through some categories. I know we have some drone hobbyists on here, there is a bountiful selection of drone parts.

Like I said, I'm about to start building my own printer for a low cost, if that goes well perhaps I can help you take the leap :)

I'll check it out thanks.

And yeah, I'll happily take the leap of it goes well :)

I'll check it out thanks.

And yeah, I'll happily take the leap of it goes well :)

I should have all the parts printed and all the other hardware in about 2 months time, if it goes well enough I can get you a quote on costs for a build if interested