The mkiv Supra Owners Club

After market ECU's common issues/myths

Jellybean

Top of the mornin

I just wanted to ask a few Q's before I take the plunge

You have multiple manufactures of ECU's on the market for the Supra , my friend has a Skyline R33 GTST , he has had an aftermarket ECU installed but he is having issues with Idle, it has Cats and the Wideband add on controller

My understanding

Open Loop -- Engine runs based on the calibrated ECU table, normally used under partial/high load

Closed Loop -- O2 Sensor Based Control, normally used in low load situations (i.e. Idle) as the sensor could be too slow to react under high load, resulting in engine damage

Questions

1. Can you have a hybrid situation Open/Closed loop working in tandem under low/partial/high load?
  2. In general would you expect Idle problems , niggles from an after market ECU installation? My Friend with the Skyline is constantly going back and forth to the mapper with issues like the one above. Maybe Skylines are just more temperamental or is it the mapper?
  3. OEM's spend $$$ calibrating an ECU , is it possible to obtain a calibration that feels like your average car, I.e car will idle correctly, it is not a lottery everytime you turn the key

First off some of this is true of older slower ECU technology.

In modern setups with a correctly mapped ECU these restrictions no longer exist, for example full closed loop feedback on load was a deff NO NO as the ECUs were not quick enough, nor had the safety features to protect the engine in the event of sensor failure etc. This is not an issue with modern technology, safety and strategies ;)

The niggles you are referring too could be any number of things, ie none ideal mapping, incorrect sensor calibration, map resolution in the area concerned, ECU strategy etc.

As for an aftermarket ECU being like stock, I would say that my 996 TT on stock ECU was shocking, its night and day when compared to the Syvecs and its hard to believe that Porsche let it out the factory with the DBW behaving like it does.

I would say that most after market ECU's have issues of some sort and take time to get over the problems they have with a particular car

Ie: the ecu is made to fit as many cars as it can to make money but in doing so means there is a lot of setup for each car which takes time and money if your the first in a particular set up or a uncommon vehicle

good thing with a syvecs is that there has been loads done and have would have an araye of base maps thjat would need little time tweaking . But you have to pick the ECU that your choosen mapper knows inside out to save head aches in the future ,

I did start a ecu pro and con thing years ago and that was the out come let your mapper pick the ecu , not you

Thanks Guys , problem is I dont trust the ability of the mapper here based on my friends Skyline , it is a Stock GTST with Cats , the only exotic item on it is the HKS exhaust

The car has not run right since the new ECU , broke down 2-3 times now due to the ECU, he is back and forth to the place at least once a month

Excuses was the alarm to the fuse in the radio to the fuel relay and now it is erratic on Idle, hunting

It has a modern ECU with wide band controller , 2500 worth

I would love to go the UK but if I take time off work I will loose a fortune , be great if I could get a base map and have it remotely mapped!

Is it running the latest firmware?

Do Link provide basemaps for the PnP units?

It is running the latest firmware I dont have a clue about the base map

Be interesting what the lastest issue is , Simon thinks its got to do with getting his Aircon re-gassed

http://forums.linkecu.com/index.php?/topic/5794-r33-gtst-idle-hunting-since-ac-regas/

It's the stupid little things like the aircon kicking in on idle that people tend not to think about when mapping. You could spend hours mapping trying to cover what you take for granted that the stock ecu does, or the Apexi Power FC straight out of the box ;)

Just because they sell it doesnt mean they have a clue how to map it , I have been stung like that before , best thing you could do is see if they have a forum (they often do ) and research as much as you can , I had a issue with my fic and it went through 3 mappers very well known mappers and none of them sorted a part throttle issue.

I had a job that I just had to wait on site for incase anything happens for 8 hours so went on the forum and read like I havent read before and found what the issue was , I then proceeded to reflash the ecu with a older firmware for fuel stratergy and hay presto all done and drives with no issues what so ever.

Imho a bpu supra is the best street car , as soon as you have to replace injectors and ecu your in for large bills your just moving the weak point