The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steering wheel question ST205

Josh42

Morning All,

So, not for the Supra, for an ST205, however, I'm fairly convinced that the setup will be similar.

As you may have seen my other half has recently purchased an 1996 ST205 Celica. It's a lovely car, but the steering wheel was naff and heavily worn.

Hannah decided to pick herself up this steering wheel from a late model ST205:

Here comes the problem.

Her car is not equipped with airbags, whereas this wheel is.

When looking at the two wheels, the original steering wheel's horn connection is made via a spade terminal and the steering wheel has a metal ring built into the rear for the purpose of a ground.

The new wheel has no spade terminal connection and only a yellow airbag connector.

Question is, how would i go about fitting the new wheel and getting the horn/signal cancellation to work? Is it more hassle than it's worth?

I'm obviously aware that the airbag won't work.

Edited by Josh42 (see edit history)

I had the same problem with mine. There is a spade terminal just in a different location. And I had to move the earth to get it all to work.

What did you do with the Earth Jake? Just run a wire to ground somewhere on a bolt?

Thanks mate!

I found a bolt to ground it out on in the steering wheel. Sorry it's a while ago can't remember exactly where. I can take the wheel centre off at some point for you and get a picture if you want

No need mate, thank you. In my own mind, I knew that's what needed to be done, I just needed reassurance from someone who had done it to be fair mate, so thank you :thumbs:

Look at the framework of the airbag wheel, should be a terminal fitting on it. May just need to lenghten the wire to reach it. If its anything like the celica gen7 airbags, cant you just unbolt the charger/airbag unit and take it to the skip?

• 4 months later...
Guest dungdn93

I had the same problem with me. Having a spade terminal at a different location. And I had to move the earth to get everything to work.

• 2 weeks later...