The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FPV Quads

creative

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pleased with today. Had a busy week of bits turning up and I had a quick five minutes waiting for the missus so decided to test fly the 250....

and it works! Didnt try to flip or anything ontake off. needed a bit of trim to stable the hover but nothing major. PID's arent bad as stock but needs a little tweak so will do that out in the field.

I may or may not of ordered my next frame...

A little 180 this time. This will also be running 4s through 20a esc's and 4x5x4 tri props.

This hobby is addictive!!

Well its been an interesting week for parts arriving! This is almost as addictive as 500rwhp!

Took the new quad out last weekend and was able to try a 1300mah 4s 45c battery and holy crap... it was a rocket ship! So much so I got home and ordered 4 of my own!

Also had a good afternoon with the family at a bbq and everyone wanted to have a ride along, so passed my new Fatsharks around so everyone could see what I was talking about... all good until I went to hook them up to the sim the other night and get a bit of practice in and I found this...

Someone at some point had held the lenses upto the sun and caused a sunspot on the LCD display... $560 worth of goggles, 2 weeks old and they have to go in to have the LCD replaced. Annoyed was an understatement!... dont know who ( I suspect one of the kids) but it wont happen again!

I also ordered a new Power Distribution Board.. or PDB. This one is one of the latest and 10 times the price of a normal one I use but has every connection I will need including a built in OSD (on screen display)

My little 180 frame arrived as well...

together with the flight controller and PDB fitted and the 2204/2300kv motors. These are the same ones on the 250 and the 280 so god knows how nuts this thing is going to be...

as I will be running it with the 4s batteries!

and side by side with my 250.. its so small!

This hobby is really exciting me atm. After the ute went up in smoke I was kind of trying to find something that excited me as much as a supercharged V8 and i found that in something that is 250mm wide!

Nice one, great updates too :thumbs:

Shocking about the goggles :shock:

It wont happen again! lol

Went shopping again today....

Time to start building the 180.

X4r Sbus receiver

20a opto littlebee esc

PDB with OSD

CC3D running betaflight

DAL 4x45x3 props

Just need to decide on the camera and Vtx,

Not much room...

I also had a rather unexpected parcel turn up as well. A month after being deemed lost in the post...

My original Taranis turned up! So I now have two of these great Transmitters.. :D

Great work thus far, that second unit is a beast.

Good news, all the parts have now been delivered and the wife hasn't seen the invoice.

Bad news, its my mums 70th today and I have more in and outlaws visiting than you can shake a stick it, no flying this weekend.

Its the small things that please me at the moment.

As the D4Rii receiver is run on the older PPM connection to the flight controller it doesnt do telemetry as such. You can do this via the serial port on the side of the receiver but you do need extra hardware. I have been waiting for these little things to arrive and they finally did....

Soldered it all together and ziptied it to the frame of he 250

With this I can now receive battery voltage direct to my Taranis. From that I can set up warning shouts for when the battery is getting low and I have to land. Something very simple is a massive bonus when you are doing fpv with the Voltage being read out to you.

I also chucked one on my 280 as its running the same receiver... velcro this time..

Talking of FPV, my goggles have been repaired and being delivered back to me this week. Looking forward to actually being able to use them now!

Had a free night tonight so decided to sit down and nut out the birds nest of wiring on the 180...

Bought myself a quality pair of wire cutters and started snipping and soldering....

rear motors wired up..

All done....

A bit different to the first picture I put up of it!

Have to say I am absolutely stoked how this has turned out. Still have some wiring to do for the cam/vtx and osd. power sorting for the flight controller and the led bar on the rear making up.

Looking great! I'm glad I read through the thread, wasn't aware there were sims to get the hang of it. In your opinion, could you learn to fly in the simulator completely, or do you absolutely need to get practice in real life? Also, what sim are you using if you don't mind my asking.

Looking great! I'm glad I read through the thread, wasn't aware there were sims to get the hang of it. In your opinion, could you learn to fly in the simulator completely, or do you absolutely need to get practice in real life? Also, what sim are you using if you don't mind my asking.

I use FreeRider and FreeRider Recharged. FreeRider has a free to use level to have a go with and try out and will run on most computers ( I use this on my laptop). FreeRider Recharged is his full Sim. Better graphics, bigger maps etc etc and needs a better GFX card to run.

Whilst a sim is good practice, there is no comparison to real flying, mainly due to the fear of crashing! I like to just have play around on the sims to get a feel of what it would be like trying out a new trick for example. This will give me a much better idea of what to expect in real flight.

I use FreeRider and FreeRider Recharged. FreeRider has a free to use level to have a go with and try out and will run on most computers ( I use this on my laptop). FreeRider Recharged is his full Sim. Better graphics, bigger maps etc etc and needs a better GFX card to run.

Whilst a sim is good practice, there is no comparison to real flying, mainly due to the fear of crashing! I like to just have play around on the sims to get a feel of what it would be like trying out a new trick for example. This will give me a much better idea of what to expect in real flight.

Yeah I can definitely see how beneficial that would be. I would love it if they made Freerider Oculus Rift compatible, as mine rift will be here next month (Day 1 pre-order, woo!) but I'm sure I can get it to work with a 3rd party plugin. I've noticed that some company has managed to get FPVs working with the Oculus rift so that's just a bonus! Using one headset for flying and sim. I'll have to look in to this more. I have a 3D printer and it is only making me want to get started more since I can print out stuff if it gets broken. Might even try my hand at building one from scratch, who knows?

it would be pointless on an Oculus. You dont look around as the cameras are fixed unless you are running a head tracking gimble.... and these are usually used on larger quads where you have time to look around to take the perfect photo.

I have HDMI in on my googles ( Fatshark Dominator V3's )so I am able to plug directly into the hdmi output from the pc/laptop and into the goggles to make it even more realistic. Not all goggles have that capability though.

Want you mind blown.. jump on http://www.rcgroups.com and read... read ... read...

it would be pointless on an Oculus. You dont look around as the cameras are fixed unless you are running a head tracking gimble.... and these are usually used on larger quads where you have time to look around to take the perfect photo.

I have HDMI in on my googles ( Fatshark Dominator V3's )so I am able to plug directly into the hdmi output from the pc/laptop and into the goggles to make it even more realistic. Not all goggles have that capability though.

Want you mind blown.. jump on http://www.rcgroups.com and read... read ... read...

Of course, the point I'm trying to make is I'm getting an Oculus anyways for racing sims on PC, but its cool I could use it for this too. I wasn't interested in it for FPV head-tracking. Plus anything to justify the cost a little more makes me feel better heh.

Had my maiden with the 180 this weekend.

Flew really well but the batteries were way to heavy! It felt very top heavy. So I have ordered 4x1050mah 4s 45 tattu batteries for it which suit it better.

Also been working on a mates quad so will get some pictures up soon.. this thing is a tank!

Also looking forward o hearing about mavriks maiden flight!

I give you the tank!

Its an Armattan Tilt R. its a 315 quad and is huge! Runs 7inch props and has lifetime warranty on the arms. It is also one of the worst things I have worked on so far! There is nowhere to mount anything despite it being so big. The main baseplate is also the PDB so you cant stick stuff down due to solder pads and its also a stupid shape....

This made mounting the vtx, rx and aerial placement an absolute nightmare.

Quick comparison between my 180 , 250 and his 315....

Popped my FPV cherry today.....

Aaaand I have found that a 280mm quad scares me more than being behind the wheel of a 500rwhp supercharged V8! What an absolute rush that was! I flew like a granny! Full angle mode and took it real easy!

• 2 weeks later...

not much to report really! had a good weekend flying fpv again and this time moved out of granny mode and got onto horizon mode.... Acro next I think!

My mate didnt have as much luck. He was running the new Blheli 14.5 firmware on his esc's and this was the result after desync at a decent height...

:D

My 180 is an absolute beast though! very quick and very nimble.. so much so, I have ordered another 2 frames and will be going with slightly more powerful motors on them. I get almost as much fun out of building them than I do flying them!

how did you do mav? crashed it yet?

Going to be a good weekend! Flying Saturday and Sunday this week.. keen!

I have also decided on my next frame! :D

Had a good tax return from last year and I have been mooching about trying to find something I liked. Toyed with the idea of an Armattan F1-5 acro frame..

and an Alien MotoF3 frame...http://impulserc.com/content/images/thumbs/0000446_motof3-frame-kit-230mm-4x12mm-arms_375.jpeg

but I just wasnt sold. I dont like the idea of the battery being slung below the frame because of impact and they are expensive for what they are but I wanted something different to the normal frames I have now.....

I then came across a frame I remembered seeing a few months ago as a concept.... hes finally gone into production ( he makes them all himself ) and I am waiting on the second run of frames he is making...

This is going to be a no expense spared build. Either Emax RS2205/2300kv motors or DYS SE2205/2300kv motors, KISS FC, KISS 24a esc's, Hs1177 fpv cam, and I havent decided on a vtx yet. Will run on the Tattu 1300mah 4s batteries I already have and will run the 5x40x3 BN props.

Keen is an understatement!