The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Borg Warner S366

JackyBoi

No :) in fact, i believe that taller gearing actually assists in turbo spool, because as Dude put it, it "loads the engine up"

Besides, a slower revving engine must have an advantage of extra exhaust gas flow over one that reaches a common engine rpm point quicker, so spool (measured by boost pressure v engine rpm) and therefore positive boost should come earlier if anything.

Np89, you are correct, because of the longer gearing of the 4spd autobox it takes the engine longer to get through the revs which in turn will make a bigger turbo feel laggy, i know this because i fitted an auto diff on mine (6 spd) and the turbo feels much more responsive, basically gets through the revs quicker so gets on boost quicker, obviously i`m changing gear like stirring a pot of curry but thats all part of the fun.

As bignum said, and i said before, its the gearing making the engine feel less responsive that is the reason for the difference between manual and auto.

If the gear ratios were the same on two cars with identical turbo setups, but one auto and one manual, they would both make the same boost at say 3000rpm in the same gear ratio.

Boost pressure vs engine rpm is the measure of 'spool', not how many seconds it takes to get there.

Also used to run the boost lab S366 with a 91 housing. Was fine for me as was on track use but on the road the larger housing felt laggy. Id go for the 86 and sacrifice a bit at the top end for a faster responsive turbo.

Okay awesome, thanks for the input. I might go for the .86 housing then