The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My first N/A-T

trebor69

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had wired the Emanage into the loom that was fitted to the new engine but after taking my engine out of the car I realized that the loom on the new engine was for a manual....not knowing if this would work or not in my auto I swapped the engine looms (de-wiring the piggy back and then re-wiring it) over with a few other little difference's off the block so I fitted the engine into the car and had an issue with the oil return fitting fouling on the power steering lines but seeing as I'd cut the oil return pipe exactly to size (trying to be a smart arse and keep everything neat and tidy) there was NO room for any movement, I only needed to turn the 45 fitting slightly but couldn't so I spent a few day's on that trying to source pipes and joins etc.

Then it was the turn of the intercooler pipes.....what an absolute PITA, XS power kits from SSautochrome come with different manifolds (I have seen 3 that they supply) and its anyone's guess as to which you will end up with, I know that one of these variants gives more room for fitting the I/C pipes from the turbo and between the inner wing, mine however gave the least amount of room which meant re-jigging the turbo and oil return etc....by this time I'd had enough but HAD to keep going.

Eventually it all came together and fired up easily enough but ran very very lumpy, a trip to Lyndon's more or less cured this but I did still have a misfire on tickover so on Monday evening after work I replaced the "Y" plenum with tps and iacv, fuel rail and injectors, rotor arm and leads and although it has helped, it has not cured it completely:(

I have just ordered some new plugs and while swapping them out I'll do a compression check but I'm leaning towards my gaps being too small and although they are fine on boost, I think one or more may be causing a weak spark at idle hence the missing. I gapped them to what I'm sure was 20thou but a couple may be a little less than that, I have also read that 25-28thou is fine for up to 15psi and as I'm only running about 7psi I should be able to enlarge them slightly.

Yes its nice to be in a turbo again :D

PICS ARE BACK TO FRONT......no I don't know why:(

How did yiu manage with the lead set up with the 4 runner dizy cap. I put new cam cover seals on mine recently. Then went to put leads back on. Doh thought the cap numbers would marry up with leads to plugs. Nope they didnt. Running lumpy was a understatement😯 got it sorted un the end.

Looking good mate great job.

Did you have any probs doing the pipe work on the fm as I'll be doing mine soon and was looking for the best way to do it.

What I was NOT going to do was cut a hole in the inner wing, I had a piece of TT I/C pipe that goes through the wing and I just pieced up to that, luckily I have a place down the road that rolls the pipes so I gradually cut them to length and configuration and they rolled them for me. I also had a universal I/C kit from Ebay, comes with 8 silicone joiners, 8 pipes (various bends) and 16 clamps. Pretty straightforward job once I'd got it connected to the turbo.

What I was NOT going to do was cut a hole in the inner wing, I had a piece of TT I/C pipe that goes through the wing and I just pieced up to that, luckily I have a place down the road that rolls the pipes so I gradually cut them to length and configuration and they rolled them for me. I also had a universal I/C kit from Ebay, comes with 8 silicone joiners, 8 pipes (various bends) and 16 clamps. Pretty straightforward job once I'd got it connected to the turbo.

Top man thanks. I already have a side mount in now so shouldn't be to difficult

Looking good mate. What's it like compared to the 1jz?

Will let you know exactly when I've driven it a little more, still tinkering at the moment but its great fun.

I think the 1jz is an amazing engine and would have one back tomorrow but this is also very enjoyable, not noticed any lag or anything, it does however sound very "nasty" and "shouty" compared to the 1jz .....guess its down to the exhaust system......certainly not what it say's on the can......Silent Hi Power....my arse ;)

How did yiu manage with the lead set up with the 4 runner dizy cap. I put new cam cover seals on mine recently. Then went to put leads back on. Doh thought the cap numbers would marry up with leads to plugs. Nope they didnt. Running lumpy was a understatement got it sorted un the end.

HaHa, yes I bet, I already had the configuration of lead to cap number written down so it was ok.

That's another thing I enjoy about modding the Supra.....its all been done before and the info is already out there, its just finding it.

Add a bottle of Lucas SS to Toyota Type IV ATF, this with an additional fluid cooler, should give that stock transmission a fighting chance.

Got you there mate, I'm certainly not thrashing it about, well.... until I get the tranny and engine coolers on that is :)

Looking good mate. What's it like compared to the 1jz?

Having driven it a little more I can honestly say that the power delivery is awesome, some of which will be down to the autobox having kickdown so I don't feel any lag whatsoever, its an animal ...I dread to think what 500bhp is like :eyebrows: ......Yes it's faster than the 1JZ :D

(obviously spent too much time in an N/A) ;)

Edited by trebor69 (see edit history)

Update on plug gaps, finding the info on these is difficult, Walkerstrider is running his gapped at 20thou and it runs perfectly, I've also seen one other person quoting the gap to 20thou too however, my car does not like 20thou and misses a lot on tickover. I upped the gap to 25thou and at first it seemed to help but it then started missing again (only on tickover) so today I have upped the gap to 32thou and it is so much better with the miss being almost eradicated (hoping this will be cleared up with the map).

The reason you bring the gap down to 20thou (from the factory pre set gap around 1.1mm) is because the spark is usually affected by the boost and "blown out" which causes missing at higher revs but as I have found (and I don't know why it has had this effect on my car as from what I can gather everybody else runs at 20thou fine with no issue) it is not always the case, mine runs perfectly at higher revs gapped at 32. One tuning garage in America suggests 28-32thou for anything up to 15psi.

I hope this may be of some help in future to anybody who goes N/A-T and has a misfire on tickover but does not know where the fault lies,(having already messaged a couple of N/A-T guys on here for help and info but with no replies) I found this out after changing the fuel rail, injectors, Y plenum, TPS, IACV, plugs, leads, rotor arm, coil, igniter and map sensor, also did the 12v fuel pump mod (standard pump).....none of which helped the misfire.

I would also urge anybody who does go N/A-T to definately change the fuel pump for a 255lph as this makes a huge difference to how smooth it runs.

Just to add this is with BKR7E copper plugs.

Edited by trebor69 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

I have now fitted BKR7EIX Iridium plugs pre gapped at 70thou (not BKR7EIX-11) and the miss has gone, ticks over lovely now but it seems to be blowing from the manifold area which is going to take some investigation as it is heat wrapped, my advice to anyone buying this kit is to make sure you get the upgrade manifold which gives better clearance of the distributor, oil return and the intercooler pipe fitting.