The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommended tyres

binfieldx

I've used R888's in torrential rain on track and I've got to say if you can avoid standing water like it's the plague then you'll be fine!:)

Same goes for Kumho V70A tyres and probably the rest of the road legal track tyres.

I'm currently using Federal 595 RS-R tyres on the track car, don't think I'd bother with them again, at least on the front as they just don't offer the turn-in I had with the Kumhos, but seeing as they have much deeper tread patterns than the other semi-slicks they might be a good all-rounder for the road. They are available in a good range of sizes and the real kicker is the price. If your burning through tyres at the rate of a pair every two months then these might be the perfect choice.

I've used R888's in torrential rain on track and I've got to say if you can avoid standing water like it's the plague then you'll be fine!:)

:lol: agreed, I got caught out on the M25 one evening, like I side before, not a nice experience, was on way back from trackday too :lol:

Going to be purchasing some new tyres for the supra, what is recommended for 285/40/19? Currrently have nangkang's in 275/40/19 but they don't grip well at all.

This wide tyre thing is wierd. Lots of people buy them because they think they look cool. OK maybe they look cool maybe they don't. Then you get the race crowd who buy them because they imagine its going to give them extra go faster grip. Thats the nonsense part particularly if you are looking at the lower profile 19 inch rims. Lower the profile and you increase the wall rigidity which means the tyre footprint may be wider across the tyre but it'll be narrower along the tyre.

Studies also show that wider tyres are bad news when it comes to wet surfaces. Aquaplaning on a test Porche 911 reported adding an inch to the tyre width lowered the aquaplaning speed by 15%. Then you have the extra road noise on 99% of UK roads, particlarly all the surface dressed variety.

Wide tyres, what a waste. The only thing you compromise is your own ears and safety.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...