The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspicions about previous MOT

listy

As some have seen my daily failed its MOT due to excessive corrosion. When I bought it last year (May) it came with a brand new MOT provided by the garage. Now with this failure, I'm wondering if they just whacked a new ticket on it, as it seems odd that in the space of a year and a bit all this corrosion has suddenly appeared to the point of a fail.

If it was sold with a dodgy MOT, where would I stand? I have a feeling that being over a year I don't have a leg to stand on, and to be fair, would probably be more hassle than it's worth to go into it. It's more of a "be wary thread" for others I guess.

I doubt you'll have much luck with it after a year, i'd definitely be giving the garage you bought it off a call though

if its that bad just to see what response you get.

I'd be asking how if its really bad did it pass the mot when you bought it and maybe mention you

are thinking of contacting trading standards

You've got nothing to lose in trying to put the frighteners on the garage even with it being a year on.

Was it their own mot or was it done by someone else ?

I'd contact the place that actually mot'd the car as well

if its been done by another garage

Also, the MOT previous to the ones posted above ran out September 2014, yet another was issued May 2014. Is that legal?

The one before had an advisory on the rear pads, which I had to replace a couple of months into ownership, so that was never remedied. I have a feeling they literally just printed a fresh ticket without conducting an MOT.

Recent MOT.

Failures

001 Nearside rear (inner sill) Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded [2.4.A.3]

002 Nearside rear (cracked) Trailing arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement [2.4.G.2]

003 Offside rear suspension arm corroded and seriously weakened [2.4.G.1]

004 Nearside rear (inner arch) Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded [2.4.A.3]

005 Offside rear (inner arch) Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded [2.4.A.3]

Advisories

006 Offside rear (inner sill) Suspension mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive [2.4.A.3]

007 Near side rear suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened [2.4.G.1]

- - - Updated - - -

I've not had a second opinion. The car is back at mine so I'll be having a look when time allows. The Supra is priority today but I might get a look later on.

mmmm?? if it was parked in the sea for the year. I see where you are coming from that dose seem to be very rusty for just one years worth of motoring and what looks like just about 5000 miles of use :blink:

I had a old Vectra for 6 years and done miles in all weathers and used and abused it (used as a van for work) and that only ever had a ball joint gaiter split or a headlight that needed adjusting EVERY year even though there the only ones who ever touched it but that was all never rusted like yours. I know there different cars but something not right there.

Hope you sort things out

Mazda's do like to rot.

Advisories aren't mandatory believe it or not, they are just the opinion of the tester and are basically used for arse covering when the tester thinks something should fail but isn't a clear fail (a tyre on 1.6mm for example...)

It may well have been grotty last year, and some testers/stations don't like putting advisories on sales cars as it can affect the sale. Sh*tty for you, I know, but that unfortunately is how some people work.

With regards to any kind of appeal, I believe you've got 2 weeks in order to do it and nothing must have been repaired along with a mileage limit after the test, as far as I know.

I'd be interested to see pics of these failures mate. Hopefully they should have chalked the corrosion.

It's fairly subjective, do you trust the garage doing the new MOT? Have a look yourself.

I've needed a subframe replacing before at one garage and fine at another before now.

I've also bought an old bmw which clearly had a dodge MOT from the trader, so does happen but it was priced accordingly