The mkiv Supra Owners Club

"Are you vehicle details correct?"

Jordanch

Guys,

I'm just trying to clarify some details and that I've noticed, and perhaps others have noticed.

To make this a simple as I can this is my example;

- You have two cars, both are exactly the same (in this case lets say a Toyota Supra TT6 Import)

- for the example, vehicle 1 has a registration plate of "1" and vehicle 2 has a registration plate of "2"

Starting the insurance quote you put in "1", press confirm and the vehicle comes up "Toyota Supra 3.0L TURBO", you confirm it's imported etc and you receive a insurance quote of lets say £800

Now using "2" as the registration plate, press confirm, bare in mind they are exactly the same cars (for our example), and instead of "Toyota Supra 3.0 TURBO" coming up.. "Toyota Supra 3.0 RZ Twin Turbo" comes up.

Now this seems to be happening with different Supra's I put through as an insurance quote, despite being all the same cars essentially they are coming up slightly varied as models on the insurance.

The reason I'm asking this, is because there's a variation in the insurance quote. Vehicle "1" will come out around £1000 cheaper than "2".

Does anyone know why this is, have any of you noticed the same?

I apologise if to some this doesn't make sense but it's the easiest way I could describe it.

Kind Regards,

Jordan

I've never noticed this, but it's an interesting observation. First thing I'd check is that a car listed as "Supra 3.0 Turbo" is actually recognised by the company as a mk4 and not a mk3. One way of checking is by looking at the cc of the engine: the mk4 has a slightly higher cc IIRC.

But if you're had this happen for several different cars, the suggestion above isn't very likely.

I've never noticed this, but it's an interesting observation. First thing I'd check is that a car listed as "Supra 3.0 Turbo" is actually recognised by the company as a mk4 and not a mk3. One way of checking is by looking at the cc of the engine: the mk4 has a slightly higher cc IIRC.

But if you're had this happen for several different cars, the suggestion above isn't very likely.

The main reason I've observed this was because the difference between insurance quotes, it had thrown me quite a bit.

It wasn't until I really checked through it thoroughly that I noticed. I've looked on an insurance website and selected "don't know registration plate" and these are details;

RZ TWIN TURBO.png

TURBO.png

The main reason I've observed this was because the difference between insurance quotes, it had thrown me quite a bit.

It wasn't until I really checked through it thoroughly that I noticed. I've looked on an insurance website and selected "don't know registration plate" and these are details;

[ATTACH=CONFIG]202566[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]202567[/ATTACH]

Weird: looks like an error / duplication on their database.

Yeah I noticed this, very weird. Also even when I specified its a Japanese import it still got put down as TOYOTA SUPRA RZ TWIN TURBO

I'm pretty sure they'll be aware it's an import. The 2-letter designations RZ, GZ, SZ etc are only for imports.

I'm not as sure, I put a plate in as an import and still came up as a turbo rather than RZ Twin Turbo etc. It can't just be one database, the pictures are from a comparison website.

My only logical thinking is when they're registered in a UK, perhaps sometimes they are put down as a Turbo rather than RZ etc..

The first designation for car 1 is for a UK spec I think even though you have said it's an import. I asked a while ago and all the ones who replied said their v5 either said Toyota supra turbo or Toyota supra turbo auto.

Possibly, but that car I've used and showing as a TURBO rather than what it should be is an import.. I may have to speak with an importer to see if they register it as that etc