The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ford running cool

stevie_b

My newly-acquired Ford CMax runs cool: the temperature needle gets to 1/4 of the way up the gauge. This points to a thermostat that's stuck partially open. But then I ran the car stationary for several minutes, and the electric radiator fan cut in when the temp needle was at the halfway point. I find this last point a bit odd. If it's just the thermostat that's faulty, surely the electric fan shouldn't cut in at the halfway mark (which is what cars usually run at on their temp gauges, as a rule of thumb).

Any ideas?

I think it cuts in to stop it going over the half way mark, probably thermostat.

Is it unusual for an electric fan (not an engine-driven fan like the supra has) to operate at normal temperatures though? I thought those ones only kick in when things get hot.

My assumption here is that the temperature gauge should be at the half way mark under normal driving. I don't know if that's definitely the case on the CMax, but it's been the case for every other car I've driven. If the thermostat is faulty and I change it for another one that holds the temperature at the halfway mark, that'll mean the fan will run during normal driving, and that doesn't seem right. In turn, that means either my assumption about the 'stat being faulty was incorrect, or that there are multiple problems on the car (temperature gauge, temperature sensor, ECU fault, etc...).

Stupid question - Air con wasn't switched on was it?

The aircon was definitely off.

The fan will kick in when stationary, that's quite normal. It won't kick in when driving as the airflow from driving will provide the cooling airflow that the fan provides when stationary :) As for the car running cool, check it doesn't have an oil thermostat as well as a water one. They can fail too.

To clarify, is it normal to have the fan kick in whilst stationary but (and here's the crucial bit) when the temp gauge needle is bang in the middle? My experience with other cars is that the electric fan kicks in when the gauge reads roughly 2/3 or 3/4 to the red mark.

• 4 weeks later...

Having changed the thermostat, the car now runs at the correct temperature. I did run it for a while stationary to se if I could make the fan kick in (and to observe what temperature it kicks in at), but the temperature needle didn't budge (which I'm pretty pleased about) and I got bored and gave up.

Thanks chaps!