The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommend a pilot bearing pull kit

Scott

As above, I got a kit from ebay today but the adapters are made of chocolate. 2 pulls on the slide hammer and the adapter was out, bent and the pilot bearing was still in place. I don't mind paying a bit of money to get a decent kit, it needs to at least be up to the task of removing the pilot bearing though.

With this one the edges of the adapter were round. This threw me as I expected them to be flat so that they would at least pull on the bearing rather than promote bending in the way, like it did lol.

Anyway, any recommendations for proper hardened kits would be great :)

Facom or Snap On. You might get away with a Sykes Pickavant one if you are lucky. Or hydraulic it out with a well fitting steel rod and thick grease. Not guaranteed, but worth a go.

£300 at least.... I think I'll go with grease and the pin out of the clutch release lever :D

Cheers :)

Oh no, I already knew about that method through searching..... I just like buying shiney new tools and doing things right. Unfortunately I can't afford the shiney, more the sh*tey :D

Buy cheap buy twice mate. Which is why all my Snap~Off stuff has skinted me for the last 15 years! Lol

I have heard people using a slice of bread instead of grease.

Stuff the bread into the bearing hole, tap it in using a hammer and a rod, once compressed add more bread until it starts to push the bearing out.

There are a few vids on youtube that use wadded up newspaper...

Seems primitive, gives the end result though..

Oh, Andy.... :( I had you down for a far more cerebral method of extraction! ;)

What's `appening to you lad? ;)

It's all about working smarter not harder! Using the force multiplication provided by a fluid is physics in action. Can't have taken more than 10 minutes total, including the clean up.

I very reluctantly used a slice of WHITE bread and packed it in there (without crust lol) and it worked a treat. Only needed 1 slice. Pack loads in before gently tapping. It doesnt take much to get it out once you start tapping. Just find a perfect sized bar to tap in that fits in perfectly

That's what I tried, broke it on first 3 pulls. They are sending out another small blind adapter, apparently they are sometimes faulty.

That's brilliant :D

I can actually see how bread would be better as it would be less likely to leak past whatever you are using as a punch.