The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra V8 VVTi Manual Project

msmile

Hi guys!

Today Im starting my v8 project, using Toyota 1uz-fe vvti engine and w58 manual gearbox. When I say today, I mean the idea started nearly a year ago, the engine lies in my garage for 6mnths and research was in progress through all that time :) Appreciate some advice and support from quite a few guys including Lyndon and Mike from this forum :innocent: Will update you with the pics as I go. If Im extremely lucky, looking to end the project by September :)

Many will ask why not 2jzgte, so heres main points why:

- 1uz is 70kg lighter

- u can still use w58, which saves you another 20kg

- u get same amount of power from both stock engines

- u get no turbo lag and higher torque at low revs

- with 1uz you get weight distribution of 50/50

- with few other minor weight reductions looking for overall car weight under 1300kg

- 1uz is one of the most reliable engines yet built

- with my budget project Im looking for half the price of 2jzgte conversion

- Im looking to improove the car for circuits, not drag racing.

For those who's tired of reading the whole thread, here's a poor first start:

Edited by msmile (see edit history)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres my engine. It has done 110k miles, has no oil leaks at all, with full Toyota service history. As it has been of the car for couple years, alloy parts does look oxydated, so did some refurb. Not sure about colour tho, hope it looks nice when inside the engine bay lol.

IMG-20140529-WA0005.jpg

20140802_140342.jpg

20140802_143246.jpg

20140802_142431.jpg

20140802_155819.jpg

P.S. how do I attach pics so they are seen without link?

Please do a detailed write up and see this through to the end. I always wanted to do a 3UZ install years back but I ended up being like a sheep and doing what everyone else does and went NA-TT. As it turns out I prefer building/working on them more than I do driving them. So a V8 build may happen for me yet. I'll watch this with interest mate. Good luck.

ok, heres some updates.

The Stock sump setup of LS400 vvti:

20140805_112708.jpg

Stock oil cooler and filter mount:

20140805_130416.jpg

20140805_130355.jpg

Old Soarer mid-sump setup and oil filter mount installed to fit Supra:

20140805_171212.jpg

Very few things left to do, but Im still waiting for the lightened flywheel and Stage 2 Clutch to come

20140805_105938.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so next thing to do is take 2JZ out of the car.

20140809_181138.jpg

When its out, theres few small mods to make at the engine bay to fit the v8. As it has dual exhaust, one on each side of the engine, we need to relocate clutch line and fuel filter to make enough room for exhaust pipes and avoid high temps by the fuel lines.

20140814_101717.jpg20140814_101704.jpg

The fuel filter is now relocated and heat/fire isolated. Clutch line is removed and will be connected from the other side of the engine bay. Im also using heat wrap on my exhaust manifolds to reduce temperatures under the hood.

20140816_114611.jpg20140814_222755.jpg

Bit of cleaning

20140814_193607.jpg

My custom flywheel has finally arrived after being lightened and balanced. As the V8 engine block is shorter than inline-6, not to modify the engine mounts my custom bellhousing and flywheel are made wider, so the gearbox mounts would sit as normal. I have to use my old 1UZ auto-flywheel as a starter wheel tho..

20140814_211322.jpg

The clutch and pressure plate Im using are from Landcruiser Diesel so should normally cope with 450+ Nm of torque. After some mods I've done, it is now Stage 2 or 3, and should easily deal with 700+ Nm. I dont actually need that much, as the w58 gearbox wont deal with 500+ Nm, but better grip is always good :)

20140814_212019.jpg

Here you can see the difference in size between stock and custom W58 bellhousings

20140815_130817.jpg

Getting back to wiring now, planning to put the engine in today or tomo. Cant wait for it, will share some pics :)

Wiring was the biggest challenge for me, but now its nearly sorted (thanks for some help of course :innocent: ). I had never looked at the wiring diagram in my life and it seemed like japanese language at first, but now I can read them like I read a book :D if anyone decides to go for this project - get someone who had already done one, otherwise you will spend weeks and months reading through the forums.. ;)

My friends 4x4 garage put a 1UZ in a land cruiser but made it manual, think they just used the land cruiser flywheel and clutch with the 1uz auto bell housing and just modded it to take a clutch fork and slave. I'll double check but could be as easier solution as the cruiser boxes tend to be the same series as car ones as I know some models of land cruiser can have the R154 straight swapped in