The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How fast is 500bhp?

Guest 4294r

Depends on the setup, a high reving, fast spooling 500bhp is great.

A laggy turbo with a tiny powerband is not so much fun.

Exactly this, I have a 1jz and with HKS 264 cams - uprated valve springs - small 58mm turbo that just did 505 bhp with 533flbs torque at 1.6bar but my sidemount let me down as the air temps were creaping into the 45's on full boost.

ive just ordered the FMIC kit from wifbits and that's rated to 850 so hopefully I should get better once fitted and tweaked.

But getting back to your question I also was unsure how it would feel and wanted around 550 but tbh 500 bhp that comes on full power just after 3 thousand revs and pulls right to 8 thou is a nice smooth and progressive drive and the power is easily usable for tracks.

I now run 1.4 bar as 1.6 is too much around the streets, at 1.4 mine was doing 470bhp and that is still too fast as I always want to feel the kick lol.

My engine is also fully built with CP 87m pistons - TOMEI rods - ACL race bearing - ARP studs throughout - 264 HKS cams - 850 denso injectors and BOSCH 044 pump with permanent 13+ volts.

Edited by little num (see edit history)

fuel wont matter at that power mate, you can make a shed load more than that on 95.

500bhp is still a lot of power, just a big turbo to use for that, if 500hp is your goal you would be better off with a 60mm turbo.

I would easy go more power if it doesn't affect the reliability to much. Just looking to get the car home now as I've not had it for nearly 6 months. But I would be happy for more power when I get bored of 500 lol

You won't need a built block for anything anywhere near 500.

That will run all day and night at that power.

I ran mine at over 800 BHP on stock engine and I drive hard, very hard and it ran perfect each and every time.

In terms of the feel of it, it's subjective. To me 500 would feel somewhat sedated. To my next door neighbour it may well cause him to lay a few brownies.

If you're not used to anything in that power band get used to it first knowing you have another comfortable 200 BHP to extract from that engine with no issues to the block.

You won't need a built block for anything anywhere near 500.

That will run all day and night at that power.

I ran mine at over 800 BHP on stock engine and I drive hard, very hard and it ran perfect each and every time.

In terms of the feel of it, it's subjective. To me 500 would feel somewhat sedated. To my next door neighbour it may well cause him to lay a few brownies.

If you're not used to anything in that power band get used to it first knowing you have another comfortable 200 BHP to extract from that engine with no issues to the block.

+1

I would start with 500bhp and then raise the power progressively. I went from stock to BPU, then single with 500bhp, one year later 600+bhp, one more year 700bhp and currently 800+bhp.

This will let you enjoy everytime the little more punch :D