The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mazda RX8 - Not Starting

J-Meiser

I currently have my brother's RX8 (2004) parked up and it no longer starts.

Highlights so far:

It drove here fine, parked it up no worries.

1 week later I went to move it and the battery was flat, tried jump-starting it but no avail. It turned over fine but failed to fire.

Charged up the battery, tried again and got the same result - it turned over and turned over but it would not fire.

Does anyone have any ideas? Apart from the battery, nothing on the car has been touched and the car has half a tank of fuel.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to put them in action over the weekend and see how it goes.

Chris, I hope, for my brother's sake, that this engine hasn't retired as it was a brand new unit that he bought and had fitted just under 2 years ago and he hasn't used the car that often!

I currently have my brother's RX8 (2004) parked up and it no longer starts.

Sounds like situation normal for a wankel motor

Sorry couldn't resist. Hope you get it sorted. When I was studing engineering we came to wankel motors and the instructor said "The wankel is a great idea, but there is a reason why less than 1/10th of one percent of engines in the world are rotary, just ask anyone who owned one."

Are there any common engine swaps in an rx-8? Drove one and the chassis was brilliant it's a shame pefect shells get scrapped daily because of the motor.

Edited by GMan (see edit history)

There's something you can do apparently. You might wat to search for the method just to make sure it's correct oh and it kills your cats eventually. Anyway, get it put the accelerator to the floor, this disables the fuel pump or ignition somewhere and turn her over, let off a try starting again. I read it ages ago when I had my rx8. Sorry to be vague just thought I would add this up. If it doesn't fire I would suggest it's flooded or the points are toast.

I would love to fit a 2jz into an rx8 but there just isn't the room in them :(

There's something you can do apparently. You might wat to search for the method just to make sure it's correct oh and it kills your cats eventually. Anyway, get it put the accelerator to the floor, this disables the fuel pump or ignition somewhere and turn her over, let off a try starting again. I read it ages ago when I had my rx8. Sorry to be vague just thought I would add this up. If it doesn't fire I would suggest it's flooded or the points are toast.

- - - Updated - - -

flooded my old rx7 a few times nfrom starting and stopping within a short space of time,as said,pulled out the plugs and left open,pulled the fuel pump fuse and turned it over until it stopped spraying out from the spark plug holes,put it all back together and after a few turns stared up no problem,if you do that though make sure there is no naked flames absolutly anywere near the car

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure ?

Thank you all for the input! I'll give it a go once it stops raining.

In relation to engine swaps, I've seen the odd 2JZ (as Tyson highlighted above) a few RB26s, SR20s and I'm sure some have even managed to shoehorn a LS1 V8 into one but I would imagine that it would require a lot of work and dedication. RX8s are lovely cars and whenever I've driven my brother's one, I've always complimented the feel of it and look of them; it's just the engines that let them down :(.