The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Overfueling cause Petrol in oil?

Jellybean

• 2 months later...
Hey

My friend Skyline was over fueling , the tuner mentioned it could contaminate the Oil with Petrol and cause excessive wear on the bearings.

Any truth to this

it would need to be seriously overfueled for this to happen, and over a period of time. Not seconds or minutes. And generally a car that bad, would have had other bad running symptoms too, or been drinking fuel like f...

Simple check. Check oil level and smell the oil. If it stinks of petrol, then clearly petrol has made it's way there. If the oil level is higher than you last left it and it stinks of petrol...fairly self explanatory.

I had this years ago when I had an overfuelling problem thanks to a dodgy Apexi AFC. It took a few weeks of overfuelled idling and many cold starts to do it, but christ did the oil stink. I changed it (and filter of course) out before any serious test driving after fixing the issue.

It's something to check for when buying a car as well, I was helping a friend look at cars and one stank of petrol in the oil, so it either had a fault or had been cold started so many many times it'd contaminated the oil. Who knew how many test drives it'd done with compromised oil...