The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cold Starting issue na-t (fuel pump not priming or immobiliser issue)

ballsdeep

OK, I have grabbed a few minutes to look at the schematic, I suggest that you use a digital multimeter. Set to read up to around 15V DC. Red probe into the back of pin 69, leaving the plug in the ecu. You need a thin probe or stiff bare wire to get in and make a connection to the terminal in the ecu plug from the wiring loom side. Earth to bare metal of the bodyshell the black probe. Turn ignition to on position, warning lights only showing on dash. You should have circa 7V on the meter for a few seconds. Then crank the engine, You should then see a lowish voltage all the while it is cranking. When it starts you will see a lowish voltage maintained. The 7 volts runs the pump at full speed for starting. The pulsed voltage adjusts pump voltage via the fuel pump ecu to maintain a suitable fuel pump flow for the engine's needs. If you do NOT have circa 7 V with the ignition initially turned on, no cranking, I would suspect a main ecu fault, or the emanage is interfering somehow. Does the emanage connect to pin 69 in any way???

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You wouldn't be the first person to connect a resistor pack with one across the coil feed or a feed to the igniter as they are all the same colour. ;)

Lyndon.

I got lazy when it came to fitting the injectors and had someone else do it, I'm going to try and spend some time on it tomorrow so will check how they've been wired in..

OK, I have grabbed a few minutes to look at the schematic, I suggest that you use a digital multimeter. Set to read up to around 15V DC. Red probe into the back of pin 69, leaving the plug in the ecu. You need a thin probe or stiff bare wire to get in and make a connection to the terminal in the ecu plug from the wiring loom side. Earth to bare metal of the bodyshell the black probe. Turn ignition to on position, warning lights only showing on dash. You should have circa 7V on the meter for a few seconds. Then crank the engine, You should then see a lowish voltage all the while it is cranking. When it starts you will see a lowish voltage maintained. The 7 volts runs the pump at full speed for starting. The pulsed voltage adjusts pump voltage via the fuel pump ecu to maintain a suitable fuel pump flow for the engine's needs. If you do NOT have circa 7 V with the ignition initially turned on, no cranking, I would suspect a main ecu fault, or the emanage is interfering somehow. Does the emanage connect to pin 69 in any way???

Chris your a legend, really appreciate you taking the time to do that!! as much as most of that goes over my head I know a good electician that will be capable of doing this for me, when you say pin 69 (ecu ground) are we talking about the main ecu? I have this wired to pin 24 on the emanage ultimate loom

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by ballsdeep (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe something or nothing.. So I haven't had to chance to test the wiring with a multimeter yet but something strange happened today!?!

thought I would try and start the car using my remote start. Lately it hasn't been working because I need to crank it a few times, but though hey worth a shot... Anyway verdict was as suspected!

So went to start the car with the key, after I got it going what Iv been doing lately is switch off and then re-start using the remote start and let it warm up while I have a brew. But this time I turned the key off and pulled it out the ignition but the car was still running....???? Had to switch the engine off using the key fob

Could maybe the immobiliser be interfering its a falcon predictor evo4+ If so how would I test this?