The mkiv Supra Owners Club

315/35/17 tyres on 10" rims

pedrosixfour

Mine are on 11.5" rears chaps.

The change in straight line traction from 275-35-18 to 315-35-17 was staggering. I put it all down to the increased sidewall...with hot tyres it won't spin up on a hot, dry, smooth road in 3rd gear any more :D

GODDAMMITTTTT!!

Did you get the rims banded then mate?

Is that possible with forged rims as well?

edit: Actually, looking at the shots of your car, I should've realised they weren't 9.5" or even 10" rims you were using. The tyres sit flush with the lip of the rims.

Very nice by the way Dan.

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

Camskill are only selling what Toyo tyres they have left in stock and then are having no more to do with the brand.

I've decided to go for a set of Kumho tyres, 235/40/17 up front and 255/40/17 at the rear.

That'll be the last set of track tyres I look for in 17", I'll still use the 17" rims, but with good road tyres for use as a wet set.

I'll pick up a set of 18" rims so I can have an actual choice of size, compound & brand in proper track tyres in future.

Only cars with exceptionally good camber control work well with very wide rims and tyres. Sadly the MKIV has pretty bad camber control, especially on the rear where presumably Toyotas attempt to keep a usable rear load space depth compromised the available distance between top and bottom rear suspension arms. So very wide tyres on a MKIV used on track are often slower and less predictable than something closer to OE. To use very wide tyres and rims effectively would need a lot of expensive pick up point mods and wheel well alterations.

Plus you should NEVER run a tyre at the widest end of the recommended spec for a given rim width if you want the best handling, as side wall support suffers and the tyre footprint is destabilised. Bigger is often NOT better :) Better to go to the narrower end, to mid range of the tyre width to rim width guide.

Better to go to the narrower end, to mid range of the tyre width to rim width guide.

That was my original intention Chris, I was looking for 275 tyres for the 10" rear rims and 255 tyres for the 9" front rims but the selection in 17" is abysmal, what few brands that were available (up until recently) went from 255 to 315 in their 17" range of road legal track tyres.

Which is why I'll have a set of 18 x 9" & 18 x 10" rim for the next time I am looking for tyres as the widths increase in 10mm increments right up to silly proportions which I'll never even need to consider as I'll have what I want, a 265 or 275 width rear tyre.

These could be worth a look

They appear to come 17" & 18" as well, we use Avon CR500 race

tyres on my sisters Alfa and they work really well in the wet or dry.

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/road-legal/performance/zzr

The range is capped at 255 width in 17" mate, while the tyres themselves may be better made than what I've ordered there really is no point considering them until I need replacements.

What might be worth a look at is their rather decent selection of slicks in a 17" diameter mate.

I'd like a set, solely for track days and the experience, and Avon seem to do a selection of sizes for my rim widths.

Thanks for the link.