The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help with welders

T14PPA

Im looking to buy a welder to learn and do a few bits on my car but im clueless on what i should buy. I want a cheap welder (mig or tig?) to weld parts like intercooler piping, exhausts and bits and pieces. What kind of welder should i buy? Do all mig welders do aluminium and stainless steel? As thats the materials i would like to weld. Is gas better or not? Sorry to sound clueless

If you want to weld aluminium and stainless steel, then you really need a tig welder. This means that you won`t be looking for a cheap welder anymore:rolleyes:. If you still want to take the mig route then gas is always better than gasless in my opinion. If I were you I`d look into local college courses or night schools running welding classes and see if you can gain skills and experience before making an expensive mistake;)

If you want to weld aluminium and stainless steel, then you really need a tig welder. This means that you won`t be looking for a cheap welder anymore:rolleyes:. If you still want to take the mig route then gas is always better than gasless in my opinion. If I were you I`d look into local college courses or night schools running welding classes and see if you can gain skills and experience before making an expensive mistake;)

Can you not weld what i want with mig welders? Ive done a little welding at work but i dont no much about them

If you want to weld aluminium properly you should buy an AC/DC tig welder but they aren't cheap, you can weld aluminium with some mig welders but you'll need a smooth liner for your lance and aluminium wire which is expensive and pure argon for gas.

Welding aluminium with mig is do-able but nowhere near as tidy a job as it is with tig and its easy to put too much heat into the metal so it takes a bit of practice.

All mig and tig welders need a shield gas to weld with (that gasless flux wire is cr*p don't bother with it), migs generally use argoshield gas which is a mixture of argon and CO2.

If I were you i'd buy a mig welder as they are easier to use, kempii minarc 180's are brilliant little welders for thinner metals but again aren't cheap, expect to pay around £450-600 for a second hand one, they're are okay from about 0.3mm steel upto about 6-8mm plate, they'll also weld aluminium with the above listed alterations, they are also semi auto setting if you desire so you can just adjust your plate thickness on the display and then weld without having to mess about with power and wire feed speed.

All migs will weld stainless, you just need to use stainless wire, you can weld stainless with standard mig wire but the weld will rust so its not recommended.

Stay clear of arc welders, they are for farmers and not suitable for automotive work.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by tomgeer (see edit history)

If you want to weld aluminium properly you should buy an AC/DC tig welder but they aren't cheap, you can weld aluminium with some mig welders but you'll need a smooth liner for your lance and aluminium wire which is expensive and pure argon for gas.

Welding aluminium with mig is do-able but nowhere near as tidy a job as it is with tig and its easy to put too much heat into the metal so it takes a bit of practice.

All mig and tig welders need a shield gas to weld with (that gasless flux wire is cr*p don't bother with it), migs generally use argoshield gas which is a mixture of argon and CO2.

If I were you i'd buy a mig welder as they are easier to use, kempii minarc 180's are brilliant little welders for thinner metals but again aren't cheap, expect to pay around £450-600 for a second hand one, they're are okay from about 0.3mm steel upto about 6-8mm plate, they'll also weld aluminium with the above listed alterations, they are also semi auto setting if you desire so you can just adjust your plate thickness on the display and then weld without having to mess about with power and wire feed speed.

All migs will weld stainless, you just need to use stainless wire, you can weld stainless with standard mig wire but the weld will rust so its not recommended.

Stay clear of arc welders, they are for farmers and not suitable for automotive work.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks alot. Thats great help. I cant afford that price at the moment. I was hoping for something under £200. Anything worth buying in that price range? So if i buy a mig welder it has to be gas? And all ill need is aluminium wire?

Look for a second hand invertor mig welder on ebay or a pulse mig if you are planning on doing a fair bit of aluminium work, it'll help if it has a short lance as aluminium wire struggles to travel along them, i'm not saying you won't find something for £200, you might get lucky but you generally get what you pay for. You'll probably get a second hand workshop mig for around £200 (makes sure it's single phase and not 3 phase electric), don't forget to factor in the price of your welding wire, spare tips and also your gas hire, you can buy medium size cylinders now for about £150 then it costs about £45 for a re-fill which is what I do, to be honest you are probably as well to hire one from BOC or someone which is about £100 for the year but you'll rarely need a re-fill on a large argo-shield cylinder.

Edited by tomgeer (see edit history)

Look for a second hand invertor mig welder on ebay or a pulse mig if you are planning on doing a fair bit of aluminium work, it'll help if it has a short lance as aluminium wire struggles to travel along them, i'm not saying you won't find something for £200, you might get lucky but you generally get what you pay for. You'll probably get a second hand workshop mig for around £200 (makes sure it's single phase and not 3 phase electric), don't forget to factor in the price of your welding wire, spare tips and also your gas hire, you can buy medium size cylinders now for about £150 then it costs about £45 for a re-fill which is what I do, to be honest you are probably as well to hire one from BOC or someone which is about £100 for the year but you'll rarely need a re-fill on a large argo-shield cylinder.

Does the amp matter that much? If so what would i need? Will it say inverter mig welder? Thanks again for all your help

No problem :)

The higher amperage welders aren't really necessary for what you want, anything under 200a should be fine but aim for a 160-180a or something like that, you'll probably only be using it on lower power settings anyway.

Invertor welders are a better choice as they use less electricity by converting AC to DC electronically so less chance of tripping your house electric supply or blowing fuses constantly, they are lighter and better technology than the big heavy rectifiers used in older welders. If I were you i'd be looking for a machine that uses 0.8mm mig wire, good luck with the search.

The higher amperage welders aren't really necessary for what you want, anything under 200a should be fine but aim for a 160-180a or something like that, you'll probably only be using it on lower power settings anyway.

Invertor welders are a better choice as they use less electricity by converting AC to DC electronically so less chance of tripping your house electric supply or blowing fuses constantly, they are lighter and better technology than the big heavy rectifiers used in older welders. If I were you i'd be looking for a machine that uses 0.8mm mig wire, good luck with the search.

Hi mate, while on the subject of welders could you forward me a link of a decent tig for small jobs at home? Nothing ££££ but not cheap cack either... I dont really know where to look.

Cheers mate much appreciated. If i find something ill send you a link to check your approval lol

Hi mate, while on the subject of welders could you forward me a link of a decent tig for small jobs at home? Nothing ££££ but not cheap cack either... I dont really know where to look.

Hi Kaan,

If you're looking to do aluminium you'd need a AC/DC tig and they are expensive, honestly not worth investing in unless you are using it day in day out.

For everything else brands to look at if buying second hand are Kempii, Lincoln, Migatronic etc, for cheaper options you could try SIP or GYS links below, there are some cheap chinese welders but i'd steer clear of them as I think the guarantee and after sales on them are terrible.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CEwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sipuk.co.uk%2Ftools%2Fsip_welding.html&ei=dcKjUfPNFsKb0wXSm4GgBQ&usg=AFQjCNF-iZFLYS8BJ50By4v8WSaA5cdd7A&sig2=zCzmTLpO-x1hQSKF6D7Z9g

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CFcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gys.fr%2F%3Flang%3Den&ei=bMOjUYniDY6R0QXbg4GQBA&usg=AFQjCNG_00WM_kqTyU3gjIv0Nnp-eCIRCQ&sig2=aA0dvBBlFyGaA3Hfi99N5Q

Have a read up on the sites but you'll probably just need something like a 160a tig for carbon steel or stainless work.

Cheers mate much appreciated. If i find something ill send you a link to check your approval lol

:D I'll look but it is always a gamble buying second hand without testing it first, as long as it is described as working condition it should be fine.

I forgot to mention, try to buy one that comes with the gas hose, fittings and also the argon regulator with it as these are extra costs you could do without (roughy £50 for a hose, fittings and regulator).

Hi Kaan,

If you're looking to do aluminium you'd need a AC/DC tig and they are expensive, honestly not worth investing in unless you are using it day in day out.

For everything else brands to look at if buying second hand are Kempii, Lincoln, Migatronic etc, for cheaper options you could try SIP or GYS links below, there are some cheap chinese welders but i'd steer clear of them as I think the guarantee and after sales on them are terrible.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CEwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sipuk.co.uk%2Ftools%2Fsip_welding.html&ei=dcKjUfPNFsKb0wXSm4GgBQ&usg=AFQjCNF-iZFLYS8BJ50By4v8WSaA5cdd7A&sig2=zCzmTLpO-x1hQSKF6D7Z9g

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CFcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gys.fr%2F%3Flang%3Den&ei=bMOjUYniDY6R0QXbg4GQBA&usg=AFQjCNG_00WM_kqTyU3gjIv0Nnp-eCIRCQ&sig2=aA0dvBBlFyGaA3Hfi99N5Q

Have a read up on the sites but you'll probably just need something like a 160a tig for carbon steel or stainless work.

Thanks for the reply! I dont mind investing in one im sure it will come in handy, I will keep my eye out for the brands mentioned.

I would like to weld mainly aluminium so it will definately have to be a tig. I have another welder for steels but want a decent ali one :)

Cheers for the help!

:D I'll look but it is always a gamble buying second hand without testing it first, as long as it is described as working condition it should be fine.

I forgot to mention, try to buy one that comes with the gas hose, fittings and also the argon regulator with it as these are extra costs you could do without (roughy £50 for a hose, fittings and regulator).

Ok mate no problem

Thanks for the reply! I dont mind investing in one im sure it will come in handy, I will keep my eye out for the brands mentioned.

I would like to weld mainly aluminium so it will definately have to be a tig. I have another welder for steels but want a decent ali one :)

Cheers for the help!

If you can afford it go for something like this :eyebrows:, thats what i'd have :cool:

http://www.migatronic.com/product%20finder/machines/machines/product%20list%20overview/pi

ive bought decent mig, tig welders from liquidation sales and local tradeit papers, better to get a second hand slightly larger mig thats maybe a little older but with decent torch and proper duty cycle imo

small inverter welders are great but unfortunately any with realistic duty cycle ratings are lots of money, dont be fooled by high amperage figures from some cheap plants as they are often at very very short duty cycle with long cooldown periods

id go take a nightclass and get an idea of wot you really need first, then take advice from your tutor, instructor

Cant afford that but can you check ebay item 370795601893 and tell me what you think?

It might be okay doesn't look the best of quality to be honest, I would sooner go for this one to be honest (click link) but thats just my opinion, I know people who have SIP welders and they are budget machines but seem to be half decent quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIP-S-I-P-04790-Migmate-135T-230v-Dual-Purpose-Gas-Gasless-Mig-Welder-Welding-/111050614153?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19db21e589

If you are buying a smaller bottle instead of renting most come with built in regulators, if you are renting a size Y or size W cylinder from someone like BOC you just need a standard argon regulator, a quick search on ebay will bring up hundreds i'd imagine.

Mike

If you get a welder and can weld aluminum i need you to make me a custom intake that goes under the car :)

This is why im buying one. As i want to make custom piping for intercooler and intake. What intake pipe you want george