The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Non-starting 93TT

Guest AMW

Hi,

My '93 TT (total stock) wont start. I came to it a few days ago and it turned over and seamed to start straight way like it always did but only coughed instead of starting. Now when it turns over it sounds all wrong. I had a mechanic look at it and he said it sounds like the cambelt had slipped. I took the covers off and checked the timing marks and it is spot on. Is there anything else that could make it sound like that? I have heard a suggestion of a broken cam but I thought that was unlikely unless they are prone to that?

Any suggestions on what to check? It is getting fuel and a spark but the sound is most definitely wrong.

I was going to borrow a compression tester over the weekend to check the compression.

The history of the car is

Totally stock TT auto Jap spec

220K Km

Nothing done to the engine.... ever except service, replacement cam belt 7 years ago and replacement starter two months ago.

For the last 12 years there has been quick puff of blue smoke at startup, believed to be a valve seal but as it hardly uses any oil so I left it alone.

For the last 8 years there has been a tiny tiny oil leak from the rear of engine which I can't see where it is coming from but again, it doesn't use oil so I left it alone.

There has been no change to its performance or engine sound, no strange noises etc.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Adrian

I tried with a camera phone but it sounds totally different in real life. I will see if I can borrow a video camera as that might have better sound recording abilities.

It was running at 2am when I put it in the garage. At 11am I came to start it so only been left 9 hours. It is normally used everyday. Would a faulty ignitor make it sound different when turning over?

It was running at 2am when I put it in the garage. At 11am I came to start it so only been left 9 hours. It is normally used everyday. Would a faulty ignitor make it sound different when turning over?

Yeah because you would have zero ignition, but if it coughed/spluttered it may be unlikely

May sound daft but have you tested the battery?

It is turning over fine, if anything it is turning over faster. After about 10 mins the battery did start to fail so I then used a booster pack. The battery has been fully charged and it is still the same. The lights (dashboard, interior etc) stay illuminated when it is turning over so I expected it not be be a battery issue.

Check the electrical plugs are all pushed fully onto the injectors. Sometimes the clips can break and the vibration of the engine, whilst running/starting, may cause them to work loose.

Thanks for your reply

They all seam fine. There had been no misfiring and I would expect it would still run on 4/5 cylinders so I has figured things like individual coil, injector, plug etc wouldn't cause this. It's the noise whilst turning over which is concerning me. It is not a noise of no ignition, it is definitely different than just a not starting due to no fuel or ignition problem. I will try to upload a sound clip.

Cheers

Adrian

Crank position sensor or timing star/wheel behind the crank pulley?

Have you tried to obtain any error codes

Thanks for your reply.

I will check the error codes. I am not sure how clever the ECU's are but I figured it would be like most new cars and have a backup sensor (cam or crank) and run in limp home mode. The MIL light was not on when it was last running.

Cheers

Adrian

have you checked the plugs are wet or sparking

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, spark and fuel (well I only checked the front two) but all seemed fine.

Cheers

Adrian

Well, there are no error codes and compression seems okay.

I have now arranged to have it towed to my local garage as I don't think it is going to be anything simple.