Tyre size question

scott87

I don't get why you car is tail happy if everything i listed is as

you say, my car with twice the hp and torque that your car has

is fine and i don't need soft compound track day tyres

to give me more grip.

I have new average budget Avon ZZ3's on the front and almost

worn out Contsports on the rear.

Did you ever get a printout for the geo you had done ?

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, my na was tail happy but that was only when I kicked the clutch :p. that had hancooks on, although I forget the model but they were quite good all round.

My tt bpu auto was very planted and had very few twitchy moments. Wouldnt loose traction through kickdown or 2nd turbo even in the wet. I always had toyo t1r's on that.

My single is understandably more twitchy but its got pirellis which are a good tyre.

If your considering trackday tyres on an na to stop the rear end coming out your going about correcting the issue the wrong way. And you will come a cropper when you come across less than perfect driving conditions.

If your house starts to subside and the kitchen floor is difficult to stand on in your socks because the house is tilting. You don't put on rubber socks do you :) (unless your edd and you already have the rubber socks handy)

Treat the cause of the problem. Don't mask the fault.

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

I don't get why you car is tail happy if everything i listed is as

you say, my car with twice the hp and torque that your car has

is fine and i don't need soft compound track day tyres

to give me more grip.

I have new average budget Avon ZZ3's on the front and almost

worn out Contsports on the rear.

Did you ever get a printout for the geo you had done ?

I didnt get a printout no but i did have a look at the screen when i went back.

Its not so much twitchy, it feels as it should, its just very easy to get the back out. The main time is when the second surge of power kicks in

at around 5,000rpm, if its at all greasy in a straight line in first or second i will spin the wheels up even in a straight line....

This is more down to the rd conditions, its possibly a good job you

don't have a TT if you think an NA has a surge of power at 5000 rpm :D

Haha I have had a much more powerful turbo car before the Supra (my mr 2) and have done some very amateur racing, so im ok with power. But the Supra is very different na to any ive had before.

Is it an active throttle body or second stage to it because their is a real thump of power at the same point in each gear. Feels like my mr2 turbo did when it was standard running a tiny ct26.

Yeah. If my 'rusty', 'too high mileage', 'worn out' Uk spec doesn't loose traction on a greasy road with 400 bhp a 200bhp na definitely shouldn't.

And the na's power shift at 5000rpm is nothing. I didn't even know it had one and I had an na for over a year and never noticed it :p

It is a valve in the intake that opens and does something not sure on the technicals other than that

Yeah. If my 'rusty', 'too high mileage', 'worn out' Uk spec doesn't loose traction on a greasy road with 400 bhp a 200bhp na definitely shouldn't.

And the na's power shift at 5000rpm is nothing. I didn't even know it had one and I had an na for over a year and never noticed it :p

It is a valve in the intake that opens and does something not sure on the technicals other than that

Ill have to take someone out in mine then. Their is a real shift in power, i took my friend out the other day as he'd just got a 350z (i was telling him he should've got a supra) and he commented and asked about it then....

I film a video of the tacho too, as the car accelerates hard then much harder at this 5,000rpm sort of area.

That was the first thing i fitted. They said i would get HUGE gains!

Im wondering if i do have aftermarket cams in there though, its getting opened up in the next few weeks. Either that or it is just totally different to anything iv ehad before.

In that case my car has the wrong size tyres on at the moment. would that tiny difference explain why its so tail happy or is that just a Supra?

I had 225/40/16's falken ziex's on the back of my n/a, would have to clutch kick to get them to spin, even in a downpour! Sounds like something isn't quite right, tyre pressure's maybe? I had a slow leak on one of my rear's before i replaced them with the falken's and that was quite tail happy

Has anyone heard of a brand called gt. just been recommended them for tyres.

Also I'm running 225 up front and 245 on rear. Gonna fit 255 and change the fronts in due Time.

Car was fine in dry. Could wheelspin like mad in first if trying but uber grippy normally.

Has anyone heard of a brand called gt. just been recommended them for tyres.

Also I'm running 225 up front and 245 on rear. Gonna fit 255 and change the fronts in due Time.

Car was fine in dry. Could wheelspin like mad in first if trying but uber grippy normally.

So you have your answer :)

Never used GT tyres so can't say either way, their £100 each for 255 40 17

What tyres are on your car now ?

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

DO you have an LSD fitted? or were you just spinning up one wheel?

Maybe he's taken LSD and he's not even moving when the wheels are spinning :D

The Michelin Pilot sports in 285/35/18 aren't anywhere near as good in the wet as the Goodyear Eagle F1s I have on the stock 17s. I can pretty much put my foot down from 1st with the stock wheels and have no wheelspin, but with the Michelins (they are low on tread), they spin up in 3rd when the 2nd turbo comes in.

I think LSD is definitely involved, those majic mushrooms have a lot

to answer for :D

I don't get any issues spinning up my rears and there old Contisport

contact 2's which are just about legal, i don't tend to be silly in the wet

or on greasy iffy cold roads, your just asking for trouble and most tyres

are going to struggle to give you grip.

I think LSD is definitely involved, those majic mushrooms have a lot

to answer for :D

I don't get any issues spinning up my rears and there old Contisport

contact 2's which are just about legal, i don't tend to be silly in the wet

or on greasy iffy cold roads, your just asking for trouble and most tyres

are going to struggle to give you grip.

I think that it is just that the tyres i have really are crap when the roads are at all wet.

Ive read a lot of reviews about the GT now and they have performed very well at tests better than many of the higher priced ones so i think i will give them a go.

ive gone for the newer style only just come out, they are slightly softer and wear quicker, but the grip is much better improved in all conditions according to reviews/tests etc.

Once again cheers for assistance guys :D