The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mk3 golf reverse gear problem

Al Massey

I'm currently using my mates golf as a little run around.

The gear box seems fine with all the forward gears, it's reverse that is the problem.

It won't stay in gear, t grinds and pops out as soon as power is out through.

Now the gear stick seems loose but it is fine and doesn't jump any other gears.

After a little googling found out it may be the selector on the gear box but everything I've read says about cables but this has a rod so I'm really confused.

Anyone know anything about these or have any suggestions?

Cheers guys

The bushes on the linkage fall to bits and cause this dude. Have a feel of the linkage and see if there's any side to side play on the pivot. They're like little nylon washers and over time disintergrate.

Ok just checked and there is play from side to side.

Bit confused as to which pivot as there is two?

So what would be the best way to rectify this?

Cheers

Ah I recognise all those parts, cheers for that, will order one now and get it fixed :)

The bushes on the linkage fall to bits and cause this dude. Have a feel of the linkage and see if there's any side to side play on the pivot. They're like little nylon washers and over time disintergrate.

Yep they had play, so got the kit fitted today but now I have another problem.

I tried to adjust it to tighten up the reverse and as I've adjusted it, I've gone too far so I can't select the right gears.

Does anyone know the best way to align it back up as I've been fiddling for hours and no joy

Heavy hands an all lol

Go to a garage ?????? Oh dear :p

Might have to if I can't do it.

You need to use a tool to hold the gear stick in place while you tighten that bolt. I have one at home but im too far away. There is a template on the net somewhere. Have a search on the mk2/3 forum or club gti and you will find it!! :)

Pm me if you get stuck.

Yeah be seen the device listed on eBay, but I don't have time to wait for delivery :(

And there isn't a template n that link