The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual Vs Auto Box

psymon

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, I was looking originally for a uk spec 6 speed manual but rapidly gave up as I realised there are hardly any, it took me long enough to find a decent j-spec one.

As it turns out I'm happy I got a j-spec, the single thing I would like is the better uk breaks, but that can be done as a cost effective upgrade at any time , so it's no big deal :)

So dangerous_brain, are you saying there are only 2 uk spec manuals and you have one of them? Nice one lol :)

Oh and awesome video! I can't wait to show that to people at work who have hinted in the past that the supra only goes fast in a straight line and doesn't handle, brake etc...

definitely auto man - for reasons of preserving my engine and having no clutch to worry about, i like the way the auto quickly finds perfect gear to kick in the turbo and then launches so you dont even notice the up shifts.

i'd like to see even a pro shifter in the relatively hard work getrag 6sp beat a computer controlled auto. i reckon the 6sp would close up tho against a 4sp auto in the higher gears tho.

for practicality also i cant stand manuals in traffic! only trouble is on corners (dont know if you get this in manuals) - accelerate too hard and the turbo rush can easily make you lose the back end! :help:

The getrag is tougher mind and if you're a modder - think you'll be better off. Personally im happy with 300bhp and dont wanna spend any more 1000s to reach the crazyness of 450 - 500bhp! :read:

Nice try IMI!!!

BUT.......................One small problem...................... The Supra is a MANUAL in that vid! The only Auto on that track is the NSX. Watch the clip as the Soop passes the GTR! MANUAL DUDE!! :p :p :sly:

SORRY GUYS! :tumble:

duh......thats what the :nyah: was for ;)

Manual all the way despite me suffering from clutch problems.....:(

definitely auto man - for reasons of preserving my engine and having no clutch to worry about, i like the way the auto quickly finds perfect gear to kick in the turbo and then launches so you dont even notice the up shifts.

i'd like to see even a pro shifter in the relatively hard work getrag 6sp beat a computer controlled auto. i reckon the 6sp would close up tho against a 4sp auto in the higher gears tho.

for practicality also i cant stand manuals in traffic! only trouble is on corners (dont know if you get this in manuals) - accelerate too hard and the turbo rush can easily make you lose the back end! :help:

The getrag is tougher mind and if you're a modder - think you'll be better off. Personally im happy with 300bhp and dont wanna spend any more 1000s to reach the crazyness of 450 - 500bhp! :read:

The bottom corner of Brunters cought out my autobox every time, next time I'll be braver and use manu mode.

Manual all the way :woot: but I totally agree that the driver is the biggest factor and I'm not claiming to be an expert driver with it yet :violin: but it sure is fun learning :ecstatic:

Either way they both deserve maximum :respekt: BHP and brakes aside, I'm sure something like RLTC could actually make more of a significant difference than the old manual verses auto debate...

Dont forget the extra 2 gears would even help out a noob power out of corners quicker in a manual as there is more choice etc... actually this discussion is just dumb :)

I think in that vid you can see the difference that an auto vs a manual has by looking at the NSX's racing.

Dont forget the extra 2 gears would even help out a noob power out of corners quicker in a manual as there is more choice etc... actually this discussion is just dumb :)

I think in that vid you can see the difference that an auto vs a manual has by looking at the NSX's racing.

I personally agree with you, manual offers advantages for several reasons, that being one of them :)

That was an excellent video, I want to see more like that - especially where the Supra wins :woot:

For anyone worried about the clutch, just get an uprated clutch - problem solved :)

I drive an auto but would prefer a manual any day of the week except for when I have to buy tires and that first twin-plate clutch. On a track, the manual will always win given a half-a$$ driver that knows his elbow from his earlobe. I hate to side with the manual boys auto-bros, but this time, they're right.

That was an excellent video, I want to see more like that - especially where the Supra wins :woot:

Thx.....Ive got several more of those vids...not enough webspace to host all of them :(

nevertheless, not only does that demonstrate the superiority of man over auto, but also shows what a good handler the Sup really is....