The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Had a small scare

scott87

I have an NA (with LSD though) and once when I was driving to my tyre vendor of choice to get the rears changed, I decided I'd try to light them up. I couldn't do it. All I could manage was to pull off briskly. Mind you, my aggressive driving (I use the term loosely) is probably akin to other people's normal driving.

In fact, here's the thread: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?107766-donuts-wheelspin&highlight=skid

Extreme road camber, poor suspension geometry (aftermarket shocks by any chance, with adjustable ride height?), or even just salt on the roads (as it's hydroscopic it'll pullmoisture out of the air which makes it live driving on a damp road even when the road looks dry) can cause this - as well as all of the reasons discussed above.

When you went back to check the road, were there any tyre marks? None, one or two?

Extreme road camber, poor suspension geometry (aftermarket shocks by any chance, with adjustable ride height?), or even just salt on the roads (as it's hydroscopic it'll pullmoisture out of the air which makes it live driving on a damp road even when the road looks dry) can cause this - as well as all of the reasons discussed above.

When you went back to check the road, were there any tyre marks? None, one or two?

Completely standard suspension, all relatively new though.

No tyre marks at all from where the spin in second was. So again guessing bad surface.

This is 100% down to the open diff.............once you break traction and the rev's are high it'll just keep on spinning......I can even get this on my slowest of the slow NA auto aerotop.

A manual LSD equipped NA from a standing start will do a perfectly 'acceptable' doughnut with constantly smoking rears if that's your thing but it obviously requires large inputs and more aggression with the initial clutch dump.

You sure the clutch wasn't slipping, i doubt an na can light up the rears in second, it would

probably struggle in first.

Has it got an lsd in it ?

Sounds odd for an N/A to wheel spin

I take it that it was dry? Diesel, ice, grease, varnish, sand, etc - one of them :)

I think wheelspin is impossible in an NA ;)

You guys clearly don't know how to drive!! :D

At 45 seconds you will see that you can quite easily get the tail out.

Though camber and a combination of low thread could have caused what the OP was mentioning. I had conti's on my previous TT and they were rubbish. Especially in the wet they were pretty poor.

Edited by Abz (see edit history)