The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to guide on replacing boot struts?

Abz

i can be thear 6.30 to 7 if you wont. We can go and work on the cars without the others taking the micky. Or go to another carpark. :p LOL

Sounds good, should we say 7pm? As traffic gets busy around where I am as I have to get through Blackwell Tunnel. If I can get there earlier I'll call you.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get the SGS struts Abz and are they nice looking? How did you get on with fitting them? I was going to buy those but some OEM ones popped up so got those.

I did mine this evening so thought I'd share what I did. Didn't have to remove the entire rear trim and seats as the trim fitting arrangement would ideally have you do. The trim panels are layered over each other in such a way to make the gas strut nuts near the back window as difficult as possible to get to.

Support the tailgate and do those easy access bolts first. I stood using my head to lift and drop the tailgate so the bolts weren't under load while removing. Once those bolts are off, support the tailgate with something solid as it's very heavy. This will take the load off the nuts behind the trim and be easier and less risky of dropping them into the shell. I loosened up the top trim sections to give enough flex around the rear window trim to get a 10mm socket in. I found if you remove the seat belt cover you can get a better angle but it's tight. Ram something between the trim and the shell near the rear window to free your arms up. The seat belt panel pops out from the bottom first at each side, then can be pushed down with some force to clear the main trim and away. Goes back on much easier thankfully.

These are the clips behind the rear seat belt cover with a solid tab at the top.

http://just.razzi.me/photos/830112/6dbc194.jpg

Removing that panel and pulling the top part of the remianing trim gives room to get a tool in. Just get the nuts finger loose so you can carefully roll them off by hand, without dropping them...

http://just.razzi.me/photos/830113/140f6eb.jpg