The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota VVT oil consumption

Hobgoblin

Hi all.

Am looking at getting a car for the wife, and she quite fancies the Corolla 1.8 VVT T-Sport.

I have been told that these engines can suffer huge oil consumption, although there are just a few mentions of this on the net.

So does anyone here have any knowledge of this, and any other telltale signs that not all is well, as I could end up buying from a dealer?

Cheers

It depends which year the car is. I had a 2001 Gen 7 Celica which used a lot of oil. When i looked into it i found that the earlier engines (up to 2004 iirc) were prone to piston ring issues which led Toyota to change the piston ring design. They even replaced a few engines under warranty up to a certain mileage.

My local Toyota Main Dealer calls them a Very Very Tired Ingine.

Steer clear.

You should correct them and inform them Engine is spelt with an E! :D

If it uses more than 1 litre per 1000 miles Toyota sees this as to higher consumption! Anything upto 1 litre the engine is fine! :)

Mine used about 4 litres from Manchester to Stoke on Trent!!

:D ouch!

Celica's and the new shape MR2's are prone to burning a lot of oil! If a car comes in at work using more oil than it should we swap the blocks for new!

Aygo's are starting to wear out engines and high mileage Prius's we've done a couple of engines now also!

It depends which year the car is. I had a 2001 Gen 7 Celica which used a lot of oil. When i looked into it i found that the earlier engines (up to 2004 iirc) were prone to piston ring issues which led Toyota to change the piston ring design. They even replaced a few engines under warranty up to a certain mileage.

Friend of mine said the same thing, his one died on him and he replaced it with a 1.8 VVTi engine from a 2005 Avensis.

:D ouch!

Celica's and the new shape MR2's are prone to burning a lot of oil! If a car comes in at work using more oil than it should we swap the blocks for new!

Aygo's are starting to wear out engines and high mileage Prius's we've done a couple of engines now also!

They just don't make them like they use to. :)