The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mitsibushi 3000gto prob.

sammytruck

Hi, my friend has had some body mods done and the car has been in the coachbuilders since february. The car came back yesterday and will not run properly although the car was running perfectly when it went in. My friend thinks the battery went flat and the coachbuilder has been using a power pack to start the car to move it in and out of the workshop. He also feels the car needed a new alternator prior to going in. The work is all fine with the new nose cone,lift doors etc. Can anyone help with a couple of questions........................................1) If the alternator is useless (no light coming on though)and the battery is not 100% would this cause the car to run very badly...and 2) Can a power pack jump start cause damge to the ECU making the engine struggle to fire up and run smoothly.........Any help would be a great help. Thanks ian.

The battery wont affect the running of the car itself. Otherwise you would get it every time a car was jump started.

As for the alternator, I'm not sure, someone with more knowledge will have to make an input.

And as for the power pack question.....I would take a guess at no, it would not damage the ECU, otherwise, no one would use them, let alone buy them. It would just be the same as jumping the car, and go through the battery terminals, in which case, the fuses would protect everything.

If the alternator is known to be crud, then I would start there ;)

I think the underlying problem is the fact its GTO :lol:
.....lol,well there is that, but it is a a very lovely car. As to being more specific, my mate says it sounds like its struggling to idle, as though it has one or maybe more cylinders down. He will have battery checked out and fit new alternator anyway.Check all air filters and take it from there I guess. Thanks.