The mkiv Supra Owners Club

v160/v161 Vs Trip Tronic Vs Auto

Geo

A huge torque sequential turbo 3 litre is an ideal engine for an auto box, and the MKIV is a big and very heavy old bus, they make excellent partners. In 15 years many youngsters will never have even heard of a manual gearbox, any more so than a choke or a manual advance and retard lever nowadays.

If auto's were the same price as manuals this topic would never arise, 90% of people would have the manual and wouldn't even be thinking about the auto in a supra.

Actually in my case i specifically wanted an auto, i had no interest in the manual, imo the supra is a GT car as opposed to a sports car, yes the differences between the two types of car can blur, so it is a matter of opinion. I will say if i ever get a Porsche 911 TT i would probably want manual, outside that can't see myself ever wanting a manual, other than for a specific track day car.

Actually in my case i specifically wanted an auto, i had no interest in the manual, imo the supra is a GT car as opposed to a sports car, yes the differences between the two types of car can blur, so it is a matter of opinion. I will say if i ever get a Porsche 911 TT i would probably want manual, outside that can't see myself ever wanting a manual, other than for a specific track day car.

+1. I specifically wanted an Auto as well. I've had a few powerful manual cars, but when looking at the Supra, it had to be automatic. Got nothing at all against the manual gearbox, I'll probably never track mine so the gearchange doesn't bother me. Plus, I like being lazy! :)

Having owned 5 speed, 6 speed and Auto Supra's. I will give the same response last time someone posted this thread:

Manual:

Pro - More involved, more controllable, feels a lot quicker than an auto and just a bit more fun.

Con - Can feel clunky, not great in traffic, slower than an auto up to around 100.

Auto:

Pro - Smooth changes, great for lazy driving/commuting, faster than a manual up to around 100.

Con - Uninvolving, hate it on twisty roads as you can't match the revs when dropping down for corners, feels a lot slower than the manual.

So it's up to you but these are MY opinions, in short, Auto for a daily, manual for a toy :)

So why would you want your 996 or 997 turbo as a manual?

after going from drag auto to 6 speed i would never go back to an auto again.

Auto is great for a car thats always stuck in traffic commuting, or on the drag strip, apart from that is worlds apart IMO for driver experience and actually having full control of the car, revs, gears etc

So why would you want your 996 or 997 turbo as a manual?

A Supra is a GT a Porsche 911 is a sports car, people bang on about feeling one with a car, imo you can in a great sports car even an mx5, not so much in a GT they're too soft, i like a play in the supra as much as the next owner, but it is no sports car.

I was'nt looking for or expecting a sports car when i bought the supra, i wanted a rapid cruiser i could also have fun with. It is a bonus that Supra box is so good, i own a mustang which has the worst auto box ive driven, wouldnt want it manual though.

Edited by R Black (see edit history)

A Supra is a GT a Porsche 911 is a sports car, people bang on about feeling one with a car, imo you can in a great sports car even an mx5, not so much in a GT they're too soft, i like a play in the supra as much as the next owner, but it is no sports car.

I was'nt looking for or expecting a sports car when i bought the supra, i wanted a rapid cruiser i could also have fun with. It is a bonus that Supra box is so good, i own a mustang which has the worst auto box ive driven, wouldnt want it manual though.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

IMO, you are far to quick to pigeon-hole the supra as not being a "sports car". I think they make an excellent "sports car" with the right manual gear box. The supra wasn't destined to be purely a GT car, Toyota had the Soarer for that. It's a sports car with excellent suspension which can provide balanced handling comparable with some more modern sports cars. Couple that with the powerful 2JZ-GTE engine and that left you with a car that could upset some much more expensive sports cars of the time.

Besides a GT should have a big boot. :)

I test drove an auto, but then looked for and bought a manual.

I thought the auto box was very good, and if I had been commuting in heavy traffic on a daily basis, then I *may* have opted for an auto; as I wasn't regularly doing many miles in heavy traffic, then it had to be a manual for me - and no regrets since over the last 11 years - even when in heavy traffic. :)

when i bought my car i decided on a auto so i can drive one because ive never driven an auto this is my first,

but still i bought it with the intentions of going 6 speed because the conversion costs just as much as going out and buying a tt6 well just abit more.

i like the auto but i still want to go manual and i still will and it should be next on my list after the bodywork.