The mkiv Supra Owners Club

V8 RX7 (6 litre) + spares + EFILive ECU reprogramming/mapping flashscan.

carl0s

Thinking about selling my LS2 engined RX7 (FD).

It's not getting any use. I'm driving my LPG auto e46 330i all the time..

Paint/bodywork could be better. No rust at all, just dings and what not. It would need a respray to get to show quality, but for normal use it still looks great.

It's black.

Looks like this:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/476988_10151743631370237_844495236_24078848_1295375347_o.jpg

spec is:

6 litre GM LS2

T56 6spd gearbox with new synchro blockers fitted by me not many miles ago

LS7 clutch fitted newly by me not many miles ago

automatic LSD (better ratio for the v8 than the manual LSD).

spare automatic LSD included as well.

LSD is solid-ish mounted to the body with Samberg's differential mount crossmember, rather than a torque arm. This means it won't break, and you don't get wheel hop, or not very often anyway (it does have soft springs fitted). It does add to NVH a little though.

Volk Racing TE37 rims (genuine ones), refinished in shadow chrome last year.

High quality bluetooth/mp3/USB head unit & 4ch amp & Focal K2 Power speakers. The speakers are a bit big - the windows don't quite go all the way down because of them. I could change this, but I like music.

It's very reliable. Was used as a daily driver for nearly a year, until I just couldn't take the fuel costs and general tension any more (hence the current daily.. since November).

It has a Samberg v2 fan & cold air-intake, with dual Spal fans. The fans run in a proper ECU-controlled high/low-speed setup, so in normal use, you never hear the fans. When necessary, the fans go full speed, and move some serious air! An OBD2 "turbogauge/scanguage" is fitted below the radio which monitors whatever you want - Engine Coolant Temp, RPM, MAP, etc., since the temperature gauge on the dash doesn't go much above the middle. Anyway, you can see that the fans work well and consistently.

Tokico adjustable shocks up front, bought used as a set of four and fitted around October. The rears made wooshy noises, so I bought new adjustable Konis for the rear.

Koni adjustable shocks on rear, newly fitted not many miles ago, made life lovely :-)

The front springs are Tein H-Tech. The rears are Tanabe-NF210 (comfort) ones.

The car comes with four sets of springs, which are:

Tein H-Tech

Tanabe NF210

H&R (I never fitted these.. the drop sounded too much for my daily driving)

Eibach/MazdaSpeed (these came on the car.. a little too low at the front).

EFILive FlashScan V2 Scan & Tune. Unlocks the power of the ECU.

There is also an almost complete set of spare wishbones and control arms, and two spare front wings (common fault on lowered cars is that the wheels catch the edge of the wing when turning & leaning/loading, so I bought spares to cut/bend slightly, but I've been busy, and bought my first house and stuff).

The current control arms had new genuine-Mazda pillow-ball (spherical bearing) joints fitted by me not many miles ago. I bought the AtomicRex ones, and then a little later I bought the proper ones after the AtomicRex ones started to slop a bit.

I have been through about 4 sets of springs, and various shocks, to get to the current setup. It's very compliant. It feels better than a brand new 370Z in terms of comfort (with the shocks on soft).

It's basically like a TVR but faster and cooler and more reliable.

I've put a lot of effort into quashing squeaks and stuff. Some of it has just been a case of gaffer tape here and there, but I also replaced hatch hinges and stuff (£30 each.. ) and underlay below the carpet.

There are some other spares - a new windscreen rubber trim which I was going to have fitted after I had it resprayed, and other bits that I can't quite remember.

It has a Racing Beat single-tip exhaust - classy looking, not chav.

It's loud but not too loud at all. It's probably one of the quietest V8 RX7s. It still pops and crackles on lift-off though :D

The mid pipes are mild steel push fit pieces from Jetex, with a couple of bullet silencers (one per bank). The headers are Edelbrocks. The cat-back is all RX7-standard Racing Beat. I bought a TIG welder and lots of stainless bends and my project was going to be redoing the mid pipes out of stainless with V-Bands, but I've been busy, and I bought a house.

I may be interested in some kind of PX. A fast straight-six automatic that does 25 - 35mpg, can be converted to LPG (no direct injection engines) and has a good sound system. I'd like an E92 330i coupe with the N52 engine. I think a Supra is too thirsty, as much as I am tempted though. I might consider a VVTi auto in Gunmetal or RSP though with a few grand on top.

Otherwise, I'm looking at around £12k. I expect to sell for a little less than that.

Power of the engine in stock CAT-ed form (Pontiac GTO LS2 / Monaro) is 400hp. I have not done any remapping (although the tools/software is there), however it has quite a free flowing exhaust system now. It must surely be 410hp. A simple CAM swap will get this up to 500hp.

The weight is estimated to be 1300kgs maximum.

That makes it 315hp/tonne currently, and 385hp/tonne easily/cheaply achieveble.

It's fast and it pulls like you wouldn't believe all the way from 1,500rpm to 6,500rpm.

More pics including the engine bay would help your sale no end.

I will get some taken this weekend I think.

I'm still not sure what to do. It's not getting any use, but on the other hand, I'm not entirely sure whether it's worth paying an extra £12k off my mortgage, or whether I should keep the car since it's the cheapest £12k I could get (3.something percent mortgage) and won't knock much off my monthly payments. It would get me a bit closer to actually owning a home though.. closer to owning the next home.

I was thinking about making a project of LPG converting it before selling (I've learned a lot about how to do LPG stuff - http://www.lpgforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10450 ). But I'm not sure if the idea of LPG would put people off. To me, it would tick the final box (fuel costs). I already fixed the main RX7 problem - unreliable wankel engine.

LOL :)

There's other spares, I just can't remember them all now.

There's a brand new power steering pump, which wasn't required. There's most of the parts to get Air Conditioning set up (the correct compressor & bracket), and the condenser is fitted. I don't think you need a/c though, and I went through a summer without it just fine.

The propshaft was an especially expensive 3" one with Spicer sealed-for-life joints.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.