The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just done a Compression test and im not happy.

little num

Not good mate:rolleyes: if you need a hand................................i`m busy.

lol!

How are each of the cylinders' spark plugs fed on your setup James; could something related to a a shared spark/coil pack problem have caused this? Hope you get it sorted soon mate, gutted!

Right some news on this.

I took the car over to my engine rebuilders and we did some tests, basically cylinder 1 - 5 are loosing alot of air when we used the leak tester.

So we took alook in the cylinders using the snap on camera and it seems when my twins stripped there inlet fins there must have been particles that got stuck in the cylinders and have scored the bores, and maybe stuck to the valves.

So after ive been to the Honeybee for the little meet this saturday im going to take the engine out monday - tuesday and take it over for a full strip down and rebuild AGAIN lol, but this time its not costing me anything, well perhaps new gaskets and other little bits i might buy to bling it up.

Ill take pictures as i go to show what the outcome was, THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP.

I thought you were bringing the Astra on Sat?

If you can limp this to the meet without risk of damaging it further I'd like a tour of the engine bay. :)

Supra and Astra in the meet thread :)

Hope you get it sorted quickly and easily, J.

Right little update on this, basically i used the car saturday for the Honeybee meet and blew the engine on the way back.

Anyway i took it apart today to find that piston 5 was melted on the right side, and also had alook at piston 1 as that was also low on compression and found a crack on the Ring land in exactly the same place as piston 5.

So what would cause the land to crack and let the piston collapse.

From what ive read its down to high compression but im only running 1.4bar and around 430bhp or due to advanced retarding.

Any ideas on this from the experts.

Right little update on this, basically i used the car saturday for the Honeybee meet and blew the engine on the way back.

Anyway i took it apart today to find that piston 5 was melted on the right side, and also had alook at piston 1 as that was also low on compression and found a crack on the Ring land in exactly the same place as piston 5.

So what would cause the land to crack and let the piston collapse.

From what ive read its down to high compression but im only running 1.4bar and around 430bhp or due to advanced retarding.

Any ideas on this from the experts.

My guess is its because you are trying to run a single setup with a stock ecu.

Well ive just called mr wilson and he basically said the same BUT before i fitted the single i started the car without the exhaust manifold on and noticed there was harldy any gas's coming from cylinder 1 compared to all the other cylinders but never really thought much about it.

So it would seem it was foocked before the single was fitted.

My twins used to run 1.4 bar and around the same BHP as the single so im thinking it might have run lean on the twins when the pulled the inlet fins off.

Also the twins was 100 maxed out so perhaps they was just pushing hot air in.

Im going to rebuild again and run lower boost until i can afford ryan to fit a ECU for it.

Well ive just called mr wilson and he basically said the same BUT before i fitted the single i started the car without the exhaust manifold on and noticed there was harldy any gas's coming from cylinder 1 compared to all the other cylinders but never really thought much about it.

So it would seem it was foocked before the single was fitted.

My twins used to run 1.4 bar and around the same BHP as the single so im thinking it might have run lean on the twins when the pulled the inlet fins off.

Also the twins was 100 maxed out so perhaps they was just pushing hot air in.

Im going to rebuild again and run lower boost until i can afford ryan to fit a ECU for it.

Sticking exhaust valve? Could that cause the lack of gas flow when you ran is without the manifold and also therefore a high in-cylinder pressure that might have caused the damage?

Ok just found this site and had a good read of it, and it explains alot to what was happening when i had my twins fitted.

Basically i could keep the engine cool, on every trackday i used to do 5 - 6 hard laps and had to do another 2 cooling down, and i had a really good cooling system installed with oil coolers as well and still sufferd with over heating problems.

I just put it down to the turbo's being pushed to there limits and as they was water cooled was cooking the fluids, but after reading this info i found on this site http://www.enginelogics.com/detonation.html i think it might have been this also being the problem.

My engine was goosed before the single was installed but im still going to get ryan to do me a decent ECU shortly (once ive saved up lol).

http://www.enginelogics.com/detonation.html

I was chatting to a guy the other night at a meet who has just singled his Soarer and he like you is running a stock ecu with a piggy back and he reckons on the 1jz its fine to do so as the twins do no not run in sequential like the 2jz. Therefore you dont get the lean bit at the transition when you run a single on a 2jz with a stock ecu. He has a aem wideband and reckons his afr's are fine with the piggyback right across the range with a GT45.

Yes i ahve the Vems AFR gauge and its always shown good number full boost is 11.2 - 11.5 depending what the outside weather is like.

I think its more to do with the twins was heating the air that much the fuel was exploding before the plug fired causing det.

Im not really worried tbh as i will get a decent ecu once ive saved up and will run lower boost 1.35 lol until i have.