The mkiv Supra Owners Club

550-600 bhp cost?

Guest fmj-90

So can someone please enlighten me what is so bad about a Holset (truck turbo) and a (quality) eBay China manifold? With a small investment to removal welding slag, or brace manifold better, or skim the flanges for trueness, I don't see why you can't get decent results with less expensive ingredients.

No, it probably won't be as reliable, but 600 hp without building the engine (on a high mileage engine) is playing with fire irrespective of what ECU is used.

How come the Single Turbo kits on Suprastore.com are so cheap?

When you import the item, you will automatically have to add 2.7% tax code for petrol car engine components (i know this as i rang yesterday about importing fuel rails) and 20% VAT. So thats 22.7% BEFORE you even add shipping fee's.

So can someone please enlighten me what is so bad about a Holset (truck turbo) and a (quality) eBay China manifold? With a small investment to removal welding slag, or brace manifold better, or skim the flanges for trueness, I don't see why you can't get decent results with less expensive ingredients.

No, it probably won't be as reliable, but 600 hp without building the engine (on a high mileage engine) is playing with fire irrespective of what ECU is used.

A quick check of your garage tells me how much confidence you have in these components :D

Plenty of stock motors push 550-600bhp without needing to be cracked open. Most of the problems are caused by people pulling them apart first, from what I've seen on here.

A quick check of your garage tells me how much confidence you have in these components :D

Plenty of stock motors push 550-600bhp without needing to be cracked open. Most of the problems are caused by people pulling them apart first, from what I've seen on here.

Haha, point taken Ian - but then, I wanted long-term reliability ;) My friend Krister has 1000+ bhp with a eBay manifold and Holset, if I'm remembering correctly. I know for certain he made 700 on his first setup with those, at least. And I think 2JZs are very reliable, so long as they are maintained sympathetically - and these days, they'd probably benefit from a complete seal overhaul at the very least.

When you import the item, you will automatically have to add 2.7% tax code for petrol car engine components (i know this as i rang yesterday about importing fuel rails) and 20% VAT. So thats 22.7% BEFORE you even add shipping fee's.

Much cheaper to go there, buy it and bring it back in your luggage. Save 22.7%. :D